Migraines & Headaches Community
Migraine Meds Make Pain Worse

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Migraine Meds Make Pain Worse

I have a history of migraines that are triggered by monthly menstration and certain foods. No matter what trigger starts it, the migraines have always started at the right side base of my skull. About three months ago my migraines started changing patterns. The right side of my neck started swelling and was hot to the touch. The right side of my face started to swell. I started having severe pain in my right jaw, right temple and under my right eye. When the pain is bad enough, it is under both eyes and temples. When it is this bad, any light, even with my eyes closed, is exrutiating. It is the worst pain I have ever felt and I have broken bones, given birth to three kids and passed kidney stones. This pain is also accompanied by nausea and vomiting and can last for days, with lingering effects for up to 10 days. I have seen my internal medicine doctor and neurologist. Right now they are trying new migraine medications and have sent me to physical therapy to help my neck. I am still not convinced it is only a migraine as for the last two months, when I take the migraine medications (old and new) the pain in my neck gets much worse and my throat swells (not the type of swelling that effects my breathing but rather like a soar throat even through its not); although the migraine meds does help some of the pain in other areas. I have also been dizzy off and on and it occurs whether I am sitting or standing. My neurologist believes these episodes are severe migraines which is triggered by the pain in my neck but I am really not convinced as the pain in my neck isn't there until the onset of a migraine. I am looking for some type of direction, information, or even assurance that the neurologist is on the right track. He did do a CT Scan of my head, but not my neck. No MRI's have been done. I also have a small nodule (about the size of a pinto bean) on the right side of my neck but the neurologist indicated this is of no significance.