Migraines & Headaches Community
Migraine after running excercise.

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Migraine after running excercise.

My son had on a few occassions ran a few km without any problem during the run, but thereafter about 20 minutes later had migraine. The pain is always at the right eyebrow location. Sometimes, he vomitted, while other times, he would just feel like vommitting. I took him to the doctor who check him out and said he ran too fast and over-exerted himself. It is just a migraine. Gave him medication and ask him to rest. He would normally take the rest and usualy fall asleep. When he wakes up in about half to an hour later, the migraine would be gone. He had this problem like about once every 5 to 10 times of running excercise. Could this be related to the glass of milk he drinks before the run. He always drink a glass of milk in the morning and usually had his run and thus this migraine problem about half an hour of having his breakfast. Oh, I forgot to say that he only have this problem after running but not all the time he ran. Appreciate if anyone has any suggestion here to help out.

Headaches post workouts or post exercise are not uncommon and usually respond to the conventional OTC painkillers.

You need to see that your son maintains adequate hydration and drinks plenty of fluids to compensate for the fluid loss during the workouts. He should drink water evry 15-20 minutes of the runnning.

Plus all training should be done under supervision.

Get a complete clinical evaluation done by a physician and discuss with him/her whether your son can go ahead with the running.

You also need to replace the salts that he loses with the runs. See to it that he does not have hypoglycemia after the running.