Migraines & Headaches Community
Migraine and cervical spondylosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Migraine and cervical spondylosis

Greetings from Kent, UK

I wonder if you can tell me if you are aware of any link between changes in migraine symptoms and cervical spondylosis?

I have had migraines for 30 years+ characherized by left sided headache, nausea, 'crying' left eye and blocked nose that if left unchecked will usually run for 3-5 days.  Two years ago I was started on Sumatriptan with excellent results with the inevitable proviso that this has to be taken at the earliest sign of a migraine starting.  About six months ago I started having auras during the migraine - a completely new experience.  Even more recently my cervical spondylosis pain [I have a disc prolapse at C6 with nerve root impingement] has ramped up.  I recently had a bout of neck pain that I took to be associated with my cervical problems but by the end of the day I hd a full blown migraine with aura but centred in my neck.  I'm confused!  I self medicate successfully and rarely miss work, but I wonder if this change in my migraines might be due to, or exacerbated by my neck condition.  Do you have any thoughts?
There are cervicogenic headaches caused by the neck. They are very similar to migraines. You might now be having combination headaches
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? If there is a link to your migraine and the neck pain, it is important that you manage your cervical spondylosis. Cervical spondylosis is usually caused by chronic wearing away  of the cervical spine and may lead to nerve compression over time. Aside from neck pain and loss of sensation, headaches, particularly in the back of the head may also be present. These symptoms my get better  with conservative measures such as medications, physical therapy, and cortisone injections. If the pain does not respond to these measures, or there is a loss of movement or feeling, surgery may be done to relieve the pressure on the nerves or the spinal cord. Check with your doctor for proper management.Take care and do keep us posted.

Even i'm suffering from migraine and cervical spondylosis. I'm having pain similar to migraine. I'm not able to differntiate on whether i get headache due to cervical problem or cervical problem due to head ache.
Also dr, can you please tell me on what will be the treatment for cervical spondylosis with migraine?