Migraines & Headaches Community
Migraines - ADA - Disability

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Migraines - ADA - Disability

I have a few questions here so I will try to make it as precise as possible.

My first questions is how do I go about getting an ADA Accommodation for these migraines (they last upto 6 days now)? I live in Mississippi and we are an at will state (basically they can fire me for any reason).  I recently started a job about 3 months ago and have already missed several days due to what was diagnosed as intractable migraines and a blood vessel malformation. The accommodation that I would need is time off work with out getting points.  I am not sure even how to phrase it to my employer what I need for my accommodation.....I am assuming that I have to write a formal letter to them asking for the accommodation. Has anyone else had dealings with this?  (this would not be the first job that I lost due to recurring intractable migraines).

My employer works on a point system (a casino).  Even though I have not reached my allotted points, I am, however, still within my 90 days... can they fire me for developing a disability?  Now mind you, when I accepted the job, I stated (at that time) I had no special requests for accommodations or anything that would prevent me from doing my job 100%.  Now, that I have been getting these migraines my Dr. suggested that I apply for an ADA Accommodation. I have been approved through work for a medical leave (up to 30 days, of which I have already taken 7 of).

Also, I know according to the EEOC and the Social Security Administration, they consider migraines a disability.  Even though I can work, there are several days that I miss because of these things, therefore accruing points. What would be the best route to take with this?  (such as applying for disability and if I do, can I still work until I am approved?) I have no insurance and am not eligible for insurance in the future since I am part time.  Thing is I want to work and not take social security disability, but I am worried that my employer will find a reason to fire me.

If they fire me for absences, can I file for unemployment and disability also?

thanks all for reading and any input you may offer
Check to see if your state has an Office of Vocational Rehabilitation.  They may be able to assist you better.  It's a difficult situation you are in.  My wife fell on her sword numerous times due to migraines.  Fortunately she had me to rely on.  

Have you determined what are your migraine triggers?
Hi, no even after all these years I still haven't found what the triggers are.  I do keep a migraine journal and looking back, nothing seems to follow a pattern.  I have noticed that since my full hysterectomy, the migraines have changed and become more potent and lasting longer.