Migraines & Headaches Community
Migraines & Diarrhea

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Migraines & Diarrhea

I just had a terrible bout with diarrhea one night then the next day got a migraine with aura and more diarrhea that night
followed by more diarrhea and lingering headache today. Are the two connected and what is the treatment? Is it bad to take Pepto to stop the cramps and diarrhea or should I let it run its course?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Migraine and gastrointestinal discomfort are related for some people and for some it is not. Diarrhea could be due to a GI infection also , having nothing to do with migraine. So please continue your medication for diarrhea, and if the condition persists, even after the medication is over, it could be related to migraine.But in any case please consult a physician to know the exact cause of diarrhea by stool examination and take treatment of migraine accordingly.Hope this helps you. Take care and regards !
Not an MD here, but one thought is there could be a common cause for both, which would give you control to prevent future occurrences.  I have had both these symptoms together after drinking alcohol.  
Interesting,  I have had migraine for four years.  One bad headache about once a week.  But got a bout of diarrhea last summer that has been daily.  I have been to the doc about this, but he said there is no connection.  My B 12 is low.  Had to have shots because of the prolonged diarrhea I cannot seem to keep it up.

Let me know if you find out anything.  These headaches have got to stop.