Migraines and Hormonal Imbalance
Hello! My son was born in April 2011. They "missed" with the epidural and punctured my L3. Two days after I was discharged from the hospital, I developed debilitating spinal headaches. I received a blood patch and experienced almost immediate relief from the debilitating headaches. I continued to have mild headaches shortly thereafter. Over the summer, I developed a constant, dull ear ache. I went to my PCP and ENT. They couldn't find anything. I had a CT Sinus and Temporal Bones...nothing. In late September, I stopped nursing my son. A few days later, I developed daily headaches. That month, the minor headaches turned into daily debilitating headaches, sensitivity to light, and extreme dizziness. I had to wear a hat and sunglasses at all times, even at night in our home. For 2 months, I couldn't leave the house because of the severity of the symptoms/condition. I have been under the care of a Neurologist since November. I had a MRI Brain (no contrast), MRA Brain (no contrast), MRI Spine (no contrast). All finding, thankfully, were normal, except for finding a herniated disc in my L3/L4 (previous injury). My symptoms have improved significantly over the months. Over the past two months, I have primarily experienced migraines during my menstrual cycle. I am taking Sumatriptan (Imitrex) 100mg as needed (up to 5x/month or so). I am also taking Paroxetine (Paxil) 12.5mg daily for anxiety that has developed as a result of this situation.

Does anyone have any advice for migraines associated with hormonal imbalances? This was the 1st migraine of my life. I did not have any migraines after my daughter was born in 2009. Did anyone on here have a similiar experience with an epidural? My PCP and Neurologist have been unable to determine whether the epidural incident is related.

I also have a constant sharp pain in my left should blade. The pain extends up to my Cervical spine. I have not had any tests related to my Cervical spine since my Neurologist has concluded that he believe this is due to a hormonal imbalance. I am currently going to physical therapy for neck and back pain. According to my therapist, I have no movement in my C3. Wondering if that is as a result of the migraine attack in October/November or if I should talk to my Neurologist about having a MRI-Cervical Spine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Best wishes to all of you as you continue on your path!