Migraines & Headaches Community
Migraines

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Migraines

Why did they take Demerol off the maret. What else can I take as an injection. I already take pills every day
and would go in for a shot of demerol and graval twice a month.I have pain in my head all the time, don't know what it is like not to have pain in my head.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present and what diagnostic tests were done in the past? Prolonged meperidine or demerol use may increase the risk of toxicity  as well as the potential to produce tolerance and drug dependence. If the pain persists, it is best that you check with your attending physician for proper management. Factors such as your medical history, diagnosis and symptoms present are important considerations also. Complementary and alternative medicine such as acupuncture and biofeedback therapy has also been effective to some headache patients. Take care and do keep us posted.
I've had migraines daily for 25 years been through it all, tried everything. Heading to a headache clinic shortly. When mine get severe and I have to go in for shots the best I've found so far is a 3 shot combo of toradol, phenagrin and morphine. As for the comment of the narcotics becoming addictive, well. That's a small price to pay to be able to live life somewhat pian free. I've seen alot about medication overuse headaches also, this is a tricky one, I've had them myself and been told you use too much of this or that, so I told them that it was the fillers not the med itself. So I called them on it, had my statex morphine changed to a different brand and no more medication overuse headaches. I rubbed that in their faces a bit :) sorry bit of a rant here, but a lot of doctors are unwilling to give proper pain medication for fear of addiction and that's just plain old BS. If your living you life daily in pain what's the point of living. If it becomes an addiction problem deal with it once the pain problem is solved. It's been a 25 year battle for me, so I can get a bit angry on the subject of pain management. Anyways try that 3 shot combo, works like a charm. For me anyways. Never really works if they leave one out, for some reason I need the 3 for it to work.