Migraines & Headaches Community
My migrane(migraine) must be something worse

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Okay so I have been getting Migranes (migraines) for about 2 years now. I went to the doctors about 4 months ago and he prescribed me this anti sezuire medicine. I don't think it works at all. I would still get migranes (migraines). So I stopped taking it about 2 months ago and didn't have a single migrane (migraine).  But last night I had a migrane (migraine) all day and it sucked. So I took one of those pills the doctor prescribed me and a 500mg pain killer. Still nothing helped. It got worse and worse as the night went on. My fiancé said maybe I was allergies, so I took some allergy medicine. Didn't help. My migrane (migraine) kept getting worse and worse to the point where my head only on the right side felt sooo swollen and a constant thumping pain and it was so sensitive to touch the right side of my head. Any sound or light made me go nuts and I was slurring my speech and didn't want to talk or hear anyone talk. I was in so much pain, more pain than I have ever been in. This morning I still have the pain on the right side of my head but its not as bad last night. What else should I do? I also dont know what the cause if my migranes (migraines) are. They just happen whenever. Do you think I have a tumor?
Hi Sam

So sorry to hear about your pain. Both my husband and daughter suffered and it's pitiful to see.
Did you know that there are a variety of types of migraine/ headaches? Both my husband and daughter plodded on for years and then they went to see a neuro specialist in headaches. She obviously did Mri on both and then diagnosed one type of migraine for my daughter and another type of terrible headache, not called migraine at all, for my husband. They are both now taking different meds and both a lot better.
My husband was so bad he felt as if a giant dog was tearing his eye out and was convinced he had a completely malignant head!
You know what men are like about going for treatment but I told him we're using our rainy day money for this and, whether you go or not, you have to pay.
I am in the UK so don't know the US health service. However, if you have health insurance ask your doc to refer you to a special headache neuro. If not, he needs to send you for an MRI to put your mind at rest, and, hopefully, could refer you through your Health Service. Either way, don't put up with it and insist on seeing a specific neuro who deals with headaches. You don't want to go to a migraine clinic until you are properly diagnosed with it. Neither my husband nor my daughter had anything sinister on their MRI scans although both were convinced they had tumours.
Go and get your MRI done just to reassure yourself  and get a proper informed diagnosis and treatment. Good luck and hope you are feeling better. Take care.
By the way, Im only 20 years old. So the migrane (migraine) I had last night really scared me. Should I get a cat-scan of my brain?
Hi Sam

Yes, as bad as you describe your migraine, it does sound like you need to see a neurologist.  Probably you don't have anything serious, but it would be good to get a test to prove it.  You may just need a prescription pain pill that is stronger to treat your migraines, but realize that taking any pain reliever more than 2 times a week, you risk rebound migraines.  If your migraines are more frequent, then you need a daily preventative migraine med.  Your neurologist will sort it out for you. Migraines can be brutal.  My most severe ones send me to the ER when all I can do is vomit from the pain. So get help and good luck.
Thanks for all the advice everyone it makes me feel better that there are ways to get rid of the pain. I would really like to look into a specialist and get an MRI done. I'm taking Toprimate right now and I don't think it helps at all with the pain.
If you have given the Topomax (topamax) a fair chance.  I believe that it takes at least a few weeks.  Ask your doctor if you are on the peak dose for long enough.  If so, there are other preventative meds that you should try.  If several don't work, then you would be a good candidate to have Botox injections work well for you. I didn't respond to any of the daily meds and got tremendous relief from the Botox.  Then later, Petadolex, an herbal med helped me as well as an off-label med called Namenda.  My Headache Specialist said that it had helped people who had what he called were central migraines.  So there are many other options which I haven't even listed them all.