Migraines & Headaches Community
My symptoms and attempts to cure

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

My symptoms and attempts to cure

Symptoms:
After any amount of alcohol, the next morning I 'sometimes' have a terrible headache that can last for several days.  The pain is behind my left eye and in lower part of the back of my head where it connects to my spine.  It seems sinus related and I can tell that there is fluid in my upper sinuses and I suspect that it is creating pressure and thus my headaches.  Dark beer and whiskey almost always cause headaches.  Champagne almost always causes headaches.  Sugary drinks seem to cause headaches. I think the sinus pain causes me to tense up in the my neck and back of my head and causes kind of a vicious cycle of pain.  I've also gone to a chiropractor who told me that he thought that I had whiplash and that my neck couldn't hold up my head effectively.  He's done some adjustments but I've gotten headaches immediately afterward, so I stopped going.

Things I've tried that have 'worked' but not consistently:
Neck adjustments by chiropractor
Ibuprofen or aspirin before drinking and afterward
Claritin
Hydration
Multiple hot baths and showers with my head under the water (gives temporary relief)
Inversion - hanging over bed with my head pointed toward the floor
Heavy duty electric massager in sinus area and on back of head.  
Wet, hot washcloth over eyes and back of neck
Breathing steam from boiling water with salt in it
Sudafed - Antihistamines
Aspirin
Wheat beer instead of regular
Straight shots of clear alcoholic beverages (no mixers).  i.e. tequila, vodka, rum.  (Darker liquor seems to always cause headaches.)

My thoughts:
I think that weather, humidity, pollution and pollen are all contributing factors but not the cause.
All of the above 'cures' have helped at one time or another but the only thing that I've found that will get rid of the headaches is somehow draining the sinuses and getting oxygen to the sinus cavity.  The only way that I've found to do this is the put a heavy duty massager on my nose with a towel or something under it (sometimes causes bruising) and forcing air out my nose at the same time.  The vibration loosens the 'snot' and it comes pouring out.  I keep a roll of paper towels to collect it.  This is really gross, but it does work for me.  While I'm doing this I'm 'popping my ears' at the same time to get some oxygen into my sinuses.  Once my ears pop I usually feel better immediately but the headache only goes away once I get almost all of the mucous out of my sinuses.  I know that it's not good for my brain or my nose to have a huge electric massager on it but at that point the pain is so bad that I'll try anything to stop it.  I usually try all of the other 'cures' before I resort to this.

I'd prefer a less dangerous method of clearing the upper sinus cavity.  If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Hi!
Actually you probably have an allergic reaction to alcohol. This can vary depending on the nature of alcohol and on the batch, age and label of the same type of alcohol or wine. The allergy to alcohol or to coke even can be due to preservatives, coloring agents, yeast used for brewing, sulfites, gluten products in the alcohol or even to grapes and other bases. It can develop at any time during a person’s life. You need to go for an allergy testing for the ingredients of the beverage you take to know what you are allergic to.  Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.