Migraines & Headaches Community
NEED HELP PLEASE

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

NEED HELP PLEASE

Hello, I am a 31yr old female, I have suffered from the odd migraine since I was around 15 ( by odd I mean 2 per year).  Since March of 2012 I have been experiencing the aura symptoms with mild headache approximately 3 times per week.  I have kept a detailed diary of the weather, food, cycle etc and cannot find a trigger???????  I have seen a neurologist and had both a CT SCAN and MRI that both came back normal??????  I used to take 400mg ibuprofen and the first sign of aura, then realized that the aura went away on its own without drugs after about 10-15 minutes.  I have tried massage, accupuncture, chiropractic as well as magnesium, feverfew, butterbur and B2 vitamins all with no relief.  I have also tried nortriptyline, topomax (topamax) and now have tried nadolol for the past week and still have these ridiculous auras???  has anyone else experienced this and if so what caused them or provided relief???  A little background that I have severely low ferritin levels (2) which i read can cause headaches but these auras seem so random???  I am scheduled for a colonoscopy/upper GI scope next week to see if them can find an internal reason for the consistently low iron even despite constant supplementation. Any help or similar stories that people can provide will be greatly appreciated.  I do have a referral in to the womens college headache clinic in Toronto, but there is a 6 month waiting list for an appt.  So frustrating to not find some relief.
Hi Roxygerl,

I dont have auras with my migraines and Im no expert, so Im just giving my two cents here. Do the headaches get severe and what are your auras like? Im just wondering how bad this is for you. I know you said you need some relief so Im guessing they can get pretty bad. Migraines can be so tricky and undetectable on imaging studies, but still affect our daily lives. I dont blame you for reaching out if you are having several a week.

Have you ever tried Fever Few? Its an herbal remedy for headaches/migraines that a person has to take awhile before it builds up enough in your system to be effective. One of my friends used it religiously for her migraines and it really helped her. Me... Didnt help so much.

Does your new medicine help the headaches but leave you stuck with the auras? Maybe this new med will take more time to help, otherwise I would call the Neuro doc back and be a pest. Remember, the squeaky wheel...

Hope you feel better soon
You might be interested in this article:
http://www.livingwithout.com/issues/1_11/untreated_gluten_sensitivity-1800-1.html?ET=livingwithout:p76216:206235a:&st=pmail&s=P_TuesdayTip100212&t=B_TL_P
thanks so much for your response.  The headaches are not severe as I have learned to live with them as part of my daily life.  My auras just come on suddenly and usually in one eye ( not ever the same one consistently) and I get zig zag lines across my vision and then flashes across my vision and as time passes usually 10-15 minutes is goes away.  I did try both butterbur and feverfew and was still getting about 1-2 per week.  I was told that you could not stay on these herbs for longer than 3-4 months at a time and I was on them for 4 months before I discontinued them.  The new med is not helping.  I did get a call today from the headache clinic in toronto, I have an appt next week and am very excited for that, hopefully they will have some answers or at least more experience than my GP does with migraines.
Hi again,

So an appoinment next week, eh? Thats good news!! Ill be wondering what you find out, be sure to let me know.

I didnt know feverfew was short term but thats good info to have. My friend stayed on that for years, wonder if she knew that or just took her chances.

Best wishes for your upcoming visit and hang in there.

Talk again soon...

So I had my appt today at the headache centre.  They did a full exam and she sent me for alot of bloodwork ( about 9 vials) as well as she is sending me for a spinal MRI i guess to rule out any benign lesions???  She recommended 400mg of both B2 and magnesium daily as well as quitting smoking ( which of course was expected) and exercising 3 x per week.  So I am going to try the supplements but am having a hard time finding magnesium in a dose larger then 100mg ( meaning i would have take 4 pills per day)??  As for the auras today in the doctors office was the first one in 8 days???  I have a follow up in January and I am going to work on quitting smoking in the meantime, not an easy task.  How are you doing???