Migraines & Headaches Community
Need help with exertional headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Need help with exertional headache

The harder I lift weights and stiffer I get post work out, the more likely I get a headache. If I take Excedrin migraine, my stiffness quickly disappears along with my headache. What is causing this? Poor circulation? I live at 6,000 ft, altitude? Thanks!
Avatar n tn
Headaches post workout are not uncommon and usually respond to the conventional OTC painkillers. What you need to do is maintain adequate hydration and drink plenty of fluids to compensate for the fluid loss during the workouts. Plus all workout training should be done under supervision. Get a complete clinical evaluation done by a physician and discuss with him whether you can go ahead with the training exercises. You also need to replace the salts that you loose with the workouts. See to it that you do not have hypoglycemia after the workouts.
Avatar n tn
Yes migraine can be precipitated by exercise as it is form of physical stress. I suggest you to restrict your weight lifting for some time. It is important to maintain proper hydration when exercising. Tke care!