Neuro-Ophthalmologist??
Hello:

I lost vision in my left eye for 5mins over 6 mons ago.  Ever since then I have been suffering with visual disturbances in both eyes...mostly zig zags and stars.  This occurs early in the mornings, 3-4 days a week, sometimes accompanied by a headache or extreme eye pain (very, very painful). Other times, I experience dizziness or double vision.

I have seen an ophthalmologist who claims I have abnormalities to my optic nerve in both eyes.  He describes this as a "stress to the optic nerve."  After reading many articles and websites, I am assuming I have mirgraines with aura.  No one has officially diagnosed me with this, but I am sure this what I am experiencing.  

I was instructed to see a neurologist. He is a nice guy who has not been able to help me.  In fact, I am not sure he believes anything is wrong with me.  So, my question is, has anyone seen a neuro-ophthamologist?  Was this helpful?  Would you suggest this for someone like myself?

Yes the possibility of migraines with aura is very strong. I am not really sure what the opthamologist is referring to by stress to the optic nerve. It could mean pressure on the optic nerve due to raised intra ocular pressure. But this condition can be easily diagnosed by an opthalmological exam.
You can by all means consult a neuro-opthalmologist. A migraine specialist may also be able to help you as migraine seems more likely, but this is something a neuro-opthalmologist also will be able to diagnose.

Hello and thanks for responding.  I just had another follow up with my Opthalmologist and he is referring me to a neuro opthalmologist.  To clarify his statement about stress to the optic nerve, he stated there is a reduction in the nerve fibers in my left and right eye.  He called this demylenation (sp).  Should I be concerned?

Demyelination of optic nerve fibers can occur due to a condition known as optic neuritis or demyelinating optic neuropathy. It can be caused by infections, inflammatory diseases like lupus, ischemic vascular diseases like due to diabetes and MS.
It is important to know the exact cause of demyelination of the optic nerve fibers which is why a neuro-opthalmological exam is essential.
Do keep us posted on the results of your exam.

Thanks again for your insightful comments! I will keep you posted.
I do have one more question.  I had an MRI last July that was negative. The headaches, blurred vision, dizzines, and visual disturbances have increased since then. Do you think I need another MRI?  Will it show anything different?