Nortriptyline???????????
I finally got to go to a neurologist. I had a normal exam and a scheduled appointment for and mri. He wants me to take one 25mg tablet of NORTRIPTYLINE before bed. Im really scared and im not going to take it yet untill i get some information and related info on this med. Has anyone taken it? If so what was it like for you? Should i be scared and should I even take it. thanks so much
erica-22-ohio
Nortiptyline is very often prescribed for nerve pain. It is the metabolized for of amitriptyline, but with less severe side effects.  

At 25 mg once daily, you'll be taking a fairly low dose, though it should be enough to make a difference in your pain.  It may take a week or two before you see any results.  The most common side effect is dry mouth, though constipation, nausea, dizziness, and daytime sleepiness are not unusual.  You may also experience more vivid dreams, especially if you are a person who seems to dream a lot.

As with most drugs, try to avoid alcohol as much as possible, as alcohol can really increase dizziness or sleepiness. Do not perform potentially dangerous tasks until you know how your body reacts to the medicine.

Good luck, and let us know how you do in a couple of weeks, okay?

Jeff
Hi - glad to hear you got in.  Nortriptyline is one of the tricyclic antidepressants.  And as Jeff said 25mg is a fairly low dose.  It is probably a tablet, always check with the pharmacist to check if it is OK but if taking the whole 25mg scares you, cut it in half and take that for a couple of days.  From what I remember from your last message, you have a sizable headache problem and the 25 mg may work great or maybe not.  Then you just work with your neuro to modify your meds until you find the perfect fit.  You definitely should not be scared.  As with any medication, if something weird happens, serious call 911, not so bad call the doctor, a little bothersome ask the pharmacist.  In other words, you are not alone.  Just my two cents, not a doctor, but this is a good medicine to start on.  Check back and let us know how you are doing.