Migraines & Headaches Community
Nosebleeds Followed by Migraines

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Nosebleeds Followed by Migraines

Since last November I have had severe nosebleeds, always followed by a migraine or severe headaches. I have been to doctors and the only answer I've received thus far is "I'm not sure." and "Are you sure they're related?"
  I often have migraines and severe headaches without a nosebleed, but I have yet to have a nosebleed without a headache. These episodes occur 1-5 times monthly and the nosebleed lasts 5-20 minutes followed by a headache lasting anywhere from 30 minutes to a full 24 hours.

It would be difficult to assess the cause of your nose bleed exactly without an examination; however you should find the following information useful.

Nose bleeds associated with headaches might be due to a raised blood pressure, blood disorders or in injury to the head. A blow to the head may damage some blood vessels in the head region. Besides, migraines are "vascular" headaches, and medications might have something to do with your nosebleed.
.  
Do you have any history of raised cholesterol, raised BP, diabetes, cervical spondylosis or any other medical problems? Are you currently on any medications for migraine? I would advise that you should discuss this with your doctor right away as the bleeding in your case lasts for quite a long duration (5-20 minutes). He would advise a proper management and might consider changing some of your ongoing medication.

Do write in if you need some other information.

Take care!

The problem is, I have not been taking medications other than birth control. The nosebleeds and headaches happened both before, during, and after I had birth control, so they appear to be independent of that factor, and I take no other medications.

I have spoken to three different doctors about the problem, and out of all of it have only been able to procure a CT scan that indicates normal sinuses. Nothing else is tested. Most doctors are trying to view the symptoms as individual instances, but I truly believe that the headaches and nosebleeds are connected in some way.
I am having the same problem - 4 cases of spontaneous bleeding from the left nostril, followed later by a bad headache behind the left eye.  MRIs show no tumor and normal sinuses.  I am now being referred to a specialist.  What is this???!!