Migraines & Headaches Community
Nosebleeds occuring with migraines

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Nosebleeds occuring with migraines

I suffer from frequent migraines, and also from frequent nosebleeds. Usually these two things do not occur concurrently, but lately they have begun to happen together. One seems to cause the other. Either I have a severe nosebleed which triggers a migraine, or vice versa. I am currently using a triptan to treat my migraines, and I use a humidifier plus a simple saline spray to alleviate nasal dryness, but the nosebleeds seem to happen anyway. My doctor also does not seem to think that the nosebleeds or headaches are a side effect of any of my medications (I do not take any blood thinners or aspirin, but I DO take Adderall (adderrall) and Synthroid.) Please help!!! I would like to have a week in which I do NOT suffer a nosebleed so severe that I become dizzy and lightheaded, or that causes another headache.
Hi hippiechick34627,

I get migraines and nose bleeds too, and I am also taking much of the same types of medication that you are.

Although migraines and nose bleeds are not directly related to each other, it is possible that whatever is causing the nosebleeds is the same thing that is triggering the migraines.

In my case, I take zomig nasal spray for my migraines. The zomig nasal spray causes me to have nose bleeds if I use it too often. So, if you are also using a nasal spray triptan, it is possible that you are having nose bleeds for the same reason as me.

There are a few other reasons I can think of:

- Migraines are connected to changes in weather. Nose bleeds are connected to dry cold weather. So, if dry cold weather triggers your migraines (it triggers mine!), then this might be why you are getting nose bleeds and migraines at the same time.
- Migraines can be triggered by emotional or physical stress. A nose bleed is a physical stress on the body, and so it is possible that a nose bleed could trigger a migraine.
- Some people find that seasonal allergies trigger their migraines. Seasonal allergies can also trigger nose bleeds.
- Sinus infections can cause nose bleeds. The pain from a sinus infection feels very similar to the pain of a migraine headache. People often think they have sinus infections, but really they have migraine headaches. It is very rare for someone with a migraine-like headache to have actual sinus-infection pain, but it is still possible. You might want to get a blood test to see if you actually are suffering from pain due to a sinus infection.
- Winter is cold and flu season. Any stress to the body can trigger a migraine, so a cold or flu could make your migraines much more frequent. Colds and flus can also cause nose bleeds.
- Many people get migraines when they drink alcohol. It is also possible for alcohol to trigger nose bleeds.
- Vitamin deficiencies can sometimes be the cause of nose bleeds. Especially if you are deficient in vitamin C or K. Any stress on the body can increase the frequency of your migraines, and a vitamin deficiency is a stress on the body. You could ask your doctor to check your vitamin C and K levels. If it turns out you are deficient in one of them, then you can take vitamin supplements to fix the deficiency. Do not take vitamin supplements without first getting a blood test to confirm a deficiency (unless you are currently taking vitamins because your doctor already told you to, in which case continue taking what you are already taking), because having too much of these vitamins in your body can be a very dangerous and bad thing too.

Hope that information helps. Keep in touch to let us know how you are.

Thanks for writing,
marilee
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Aside from nasal dryness and those mentioned by marilee, headache and nose bleeds may also be associated with increase in blood pressure. If the symptoms persists, you may need to have this evaluated by your doctor and have you vital signs including the blood pressure monitored. Further evaluation such as blood tests may also be done for proper evaluation. Take care and regards.