Migraines & Headaches Community
Occipital Neuritis Treatment and Causes?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

For quite awhile I have suffered from intense pain on the left side of my skull (occipital area) with severe eye pain and swelling. It seems to worsen when the weather is very cold.

I was diagnosed with this years ago and was advised to take Motrin.

How is a definitive diagnosis made?

Lastly, what sort of doctor do I see?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

When were you diagnosed with occipital neuritis?

This is usually referred to as occipital neuralgia and may be secondary to a spine disorder , a compression of a neck vessel, a nerve irritation and may be secondary to a previous trauma or whiplash injury to the neck.

Have you any of these?

A neurologist is the best person to see. Greater occipital nerve block is both a diagnostic and therapeutic form of management. Other forms of therapy include  hyperstimulation of the occipital nerve as well as a more invasive ganglionectomy of C2.

Do keep us posted with regards to your progress.
Great reply! Yes, indeed I have injured my neck on several occasions.
The first time was when I was hit from behind by an 18 wheeler truck.

I saw a Neurologist at the end of last month and explained my symptoms in detail. Unfortunately, he was quick to make a diagnosis of MIRGRAINE and sent me on my way. He really lacked any enthusiasm to further investigate my occipital pain.

I did seek out the services of an Orthopedist who recommended an MRI.
It revealed C-5--C-7 spondylosis and spinal  stenosis at nearly all levels.

Currently, I am going for PT 3 times a week. The Occipital pain+eye pain and swelling continue. I've noticed that it worsens when I get a cold or sinus infection.

I am going to seek out treatment from a physician in the Phila, PA area since the doctors in my area just prescribe narcotics and send me on my way. I would like to find a doctor who treats others with this condition.

Avatar_dr_f_tn

Yes.Your condition appears to be due to your significant history of trauma.It is best to seek more definitive management for your headaches.Discuss with your physician the options I gave on my initial post. Also, it is best if you get a referral to an alternative medicine specialist.Aside from the PT sessions, you may benefit from acupuncture therapy.Medications will only relieve your symptoms temporarily.