Occipital Neuritis Treatment and Causes?
For quite awhile I have suffered from intense pain on the left side of my skull (occipital area) with severe eye pain and swelling. It seems to worsen when the weather is very cold.

I was diagnosed with this years ago and was advised to take Motrin.

How is a definitive diagnosis made?

Lastly, what sort of doctor do I see?

When were you diagnosed with occipital neuritis?

This is usually referred to as occipital neuralgia and may be secondary to a spine disorder , a compression of a neck vessel, a nerve irritation and may be secondary to a previous trauma or whiplash injury to the neck.

Have you any of these?

A neurologist is the best person to see. Greater occipital nerve block is both a diagnostic and therapeutic form of management. Other forms of therapy include  hyperstimulation of the occipital nerve as well as a more invasive ganglionectomy of C2.

Do keep us posted with regards to your progress.
Great reply! Yes, indeed I have injured my neck on several occasions.
The first time was when I was hit from behind by an 18 wheeler truck.

I saw a Neurologist at the end of last month and explained my symptoms in detail. Unfortunately, he was quick to make a diagnosis of MIRGRAINE and sent me on my way. He really lacked any enthusiasm to further investigate my occipital pain.

I did seek out the services of an Orthopedist who recommended an MRI.
It revealed C-5--C-7 spondylosis and spinal  stenosis at nearly all levels.

Currently, I am going for PT 3 times a week. The Occipital pain+eye pain and swelling continue. I've noticed that it worsens when I get a cold or sinus infection.

I am going to seek out treatment from a physician in the Phila, PA area since the doctors in my area just prescribe narcotics and send me on my way. I would like to find a doctor who treats others with this condition.

Yes.Your condition appears to be due to your significant history of trauma.It is best to seek more definitive management for your headaches.Discuss with your physician the options I gave on my initial post. Also, it is best if you get a referral to an alternative medicine specialist.Aside from the PT sessions, you may benefit from acupuncture therapy.Medications will only relieve your symptoms temporarily.