Migraines & Headaches Community
Ongoing Headaches & New Lump

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Ongoing Headaches & New Lump

Hi there,

I have had an ongoing problem with headaches for going on 10 years.  Every time I have been to see my doctor I am told it is my eyesight or stress.  I am one of the least stressed people in the world and my vision always comes back perfect from eye tests.

These headaches can last anywhere up to 2 weeks and vary in levels from niggling and annoying, to full blown migraines with blurred vision and nausea.  

It is getting to the point where having a headache - free day is a rare thing.

Over the past 6 months I have noticed a lump that has appeared on the base of my skull to the left of my spine.  It is about 2cm wide.  At first this lump did not hurt however it increased in size in time with my headaches and caused alot of stiffness and soreness in my neck.  Once the headache had gone, it decreased in size again and was not sore to touch.  My doctor dismissed this and did not even examine it last time I went to see him.

A few days ago I suffered one of the worst migraines I have had in years and was not able to open my eyes and was very nauseous with it.  With this, the lump became more pronounced and seemed to be radiating pain up towards my forehead.  It almost feels like it is pressing on something that is causing my head to hurt.  The migraine has now subsided but I am still left with a headache.  For the first time ever, the lump is now very painful to touch and has stayed pronounced for days.  I am finding it difficult to move my head from side to side now because it pulls on the lump.

I have read a few posts about this but was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences and knows what this could be?  It is affecting my life in a big way now.  I have booked another appointment to see a different doctor in a couple of days but for peace of mind I would appreciate any advice.
I have had the same problem for 2 years, my doctors said i suffer from migraines and that i have several cyst on my head was suggested to get them removed.
I have a small (pea sized)lump at the base of my skull.  Not sure if it's always been there, but only noticed it in 2007 when  my migraines were really severe.  My GP dismissed it saying it could be muscle knot.  I was seeing an oestopath for treatment on my shoulder and she diagnosed a big muscle knot in my right shoulder, being the same side I get the migraines.  She examined the lump at the base of the skull and said it felt like a muscle knot too.  

Hope this helps?

PS Please read my earlier post re clenching and migraines.
I have just been to a different dr this morning.  My blood pressure was very high for me (150/100) and she told me the lump on my neck is a swollen lymph node.  Apparently these are normal if they swell up when you are fighting infections but she said it was strange to still have problems with it 6 months later.

Unfortunately I got home and decided to google lymph nodes to see what they were... bad idea.  Now i feel slightly stressed about what could be wrong... and I feel more stressed that Im being a hypocondriac.... maybe the first doctor was right.... my headaches are caused by stress lol.

I am going to have some blood tests next week.

Thank god... a doctor who has actually listened!
Hi Lyris

Please don't stress.  I'm sure it's nothing.  Apart from the lump at the base of my skull, I also have a lump in my neck which has been there since adolescence.  4 doctors who have examined it, and have told me it feels like a lympth node, but as it's been there for years and I'm healthy, there is nothing to worry about.  Everytime I've fighting an infection it swells up slightly.  

Have the blood tests just to be on the safe side....and yes it is very very important to relax especially if you are prone to headaches and migraines.  I've been through a really difficult period fighting migraine after migraine and I sympathize with you greatly.  I know how nasty they are.  

Through yoga and meditation, I've taught myself to relax tense muscles.  If you've never tried it before, join a class and you'll notice the difference very soon.  There are some very good self-hypnosis relaxation recordings on the market too.  Let me know if you'd like me to recommend any.

Take good care and don't take too much notice about what you've found about lymph nodes on the internet.

Good Luck with the blood tests.
I have suffered from migraines since I was a teenager, and it wasn't until the last few years that I noticed the pain that occurs between my neck and shoulder triggers the headache. Yesterday, the headache finally 'broke,' but there is an egg-sized lump on the left side between my shoulder and neck (at the top of shoulder and base of neck). I am glad other people have experienced this because it is starting to freak me out too. I know the pain is causing the migraine, so hopefully it's just muscle related.