Migraines & Headaches Community
Optic Neuritis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Optic Neuritis?

I am a 26 yo female who is as far as I can tell healthy.  About four months ago I had several very stressful days and woke up with blurred vision in my right eye and pain upon moving it to its outer parameters.  At first I thought it was just from stress and lack of sleep, but after several days of it remaining, I went to see an eye dr.  He diagnosed me with glaucoma and gave me drops.  These have done nothing so I am now seeing an ophthalmologist.  I had a CT scan which came back normal, I had blood work for diabetes which came back normal, and according to him all of my eye tests (side vision, ultrasound of the eye) have come back normal.  My pressure is very slightly elevated, usually around 20 in the "good eye" and 22 or so in the "bad eye." The vision is blurry, but it is strange and hard to describe, almost like I am looking thru a fog or something.  I have noticed that this gets much worse during exercise.  Also at night, when it is very dark, when I turn my eye very left or very right there is this little flash of light.  The symptoms have gotten no better than when they first occured, and as I said, they get worse with exercise.  I have no other symptoms.  I am horribly allergic to various seasonal and household things, and it is not uncommon for my sinuses to swell up and for me to get what I believe to be a sinus headache.  I also have noticed I have developed a very slight arrythmia, but I also believe this is stress-related.  
Any ideas?  There's no MS in my family at all either...  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? It is good that the tests were normal. Optic neuritis usually present with changes in the way the pupil reacts to bright light, loss of color vision, pain when you move the eye or loss of vision in one eye, over the course of an hour or a few hours.  Diagnosis is through color vision testing, MRI of the brain including special images of the optic nerve, visual acuity testing and indirect ophthalmoscopy. Aside from MS, autoimmune diseases, infections, certain medications and vitamin B-12 deficiency may be responsible. If there is no way that you have these possible causes, then this is unlikely. At this point, try to avoid the trigger such as exercise. Regular follow-up is highly recommended. Take care and do keep us posted,