Migraines & Headaches Community
Optic nerve - severe headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Optic nerve - severe headaches

Hi everyone. I am a 33 year old female. My last 2 eye exams, my doctor told me I have an enlarged or swollen optic nerve, I can't remember which and asked me if I have headaches. At the time, that answer was No. He told me to report back to him immediately if I ever developed bad headaches.

Fast forward to this last Friday, I woke up in the morning with a severe, debilitating headache. I had to call my husband home from work, which j would never ever do unless it was a must. I could not take care of our 4 year old because I could barely open my eyes. I vomited, I thought from the pain, and continued to have dry heaving... Which intensified the headache soooo much. I went back to bed, slept until 5 pm and had a dull headache the rest of the night.

Yesterday I had to attend my little sisters sweet 16 surprise party. I felt very "off". Can't really explain it. I began to get another headache later in the day... No where as severe as Friday but still, a bad headache.

Today, I feel alot of pressure on/in my head... The top and the sides, the back and the forward. I have another mild headache, and my vision blurs for a few seconds at a time, almost like a film is over my eyeballs.

Any ideas? I called my eye doctor but he doesn't have an emergency number. I am worried and will follow up when he is in on Tuesday. It is very unlike me to get headaches, let alone the type I had Friday and the constant ones since then. I just don't know what to think in regards to the optic nerve situation.

Thank you for your time in reading this!!!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present? A swollen or inflamed optic nerve is usually associated with optic neuritis. It may present with tender/sore eye; pain behind the eye when the eye moves; dim or dull vision; decreased or blurred vision at least one eye; decreased peripheral vision and color perception, nausea, fever and headache. This may be caused by autoimmune or  inflammatory conditions as well as infection and allergy.  A swollen optic nerve usually improves over several days to weeks, but may take months for complete restoration of normal vision. It is best that you have this evaluated for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thanks so much for your reply:)

I've been diagnosed with Pseudo Tumor Cerebri and Increased Cranial Pressure. My pressure is above 25 cm so I will have yet another spinal tap tomorrow to drain fluid. I have also started Topamax and will be seeing a Neurologist tomorrow.

I feel awful and hope to start feeling at least a little better soon.