Migraines & Headaches Community
PULSATING THROBBING SENSATION IN HEAD

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

PULSATING THROBBING SENSATION IN HEAD

There is always a strong pulsating throbbing sensation in my head, especially while lying down. It's so strong, it kinda feels like I move a bit with every pulse. My head feels as If it is not getting enough blood flow, there is alot of pressure all over and there is a loud swooshing sound in the back of my head. I've had a carotid doppler, MRI with contrast of my brain and temporal bones with inner ear, all normal. My echocardiogram was also normal. Bloodwork normal.
I am 18 years old, what could be wrong? I am always woozy and feeling drunk. I have visual disturbances too.

My neurologists suspects pseudotumor cerebri.
Is this a possibility?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Yes it is a possibility. ‘Benign intracranial hypertension’  (BIH) or pseudotumor cerebri happens due to impaired CSF absorption. A generalized throbbing headache worst felt in the morning and last thing at night. This headache is generally relieved on standing (consistent with raised intracranial pressure). It is aggravated by straining, coughing or a change in position. Visual symptoms also accompany most of the times. Hypothyroidism, hypoparathyroidism, adrenal insufficiency are a few things I would recommend you get investigated for. These can precipitate BIH. A spinal tap is a must both to diagnose the condition and to treat it.

Back pain (if in cervical region can cause headache) worse when sitting or lying down and feels better with movement is usually caused by ankylosing spondylitis. This is a genetic condition. Medicines, physiotherapy, exercises and drugs to suppress immunity are the mainstay of treatment. A back pain that is worse on lying down or felt mainly on lying down can also be due to a tumor within the spinal cord. A neurological examination can pinpoint the site. A CT scan or a MRI will be surely required.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
     My mom has cervical spondylosis at C3-C4. she was diagnosed with it 5 yrs ago. she complains of migraine headaches particularly in premenstrual phase. from the last few days she is having throbbing headaches which worsen on lying down and are particularly in occipital region. moreover she also has raised cholestrol levels in blood. can u please let me know wat can b the cause of her recent headaches. is it Hypertension or associated symptom of cervical spondylosis n what test should i do for that? I shall be thankful.

Regards,
Sadaf Naveed
i know exactly what you're talking about. i've felt and had the same things you're talking about. i saw a good chiropractor about my issue and they were able to resolve that problem.
Psuedotumor cerebri or benign intracranial hypertension as it is also called is usually observable on the brain MRI or by looking at the eye bottoms.

If you want to you can upload your MRI on your page. If the tests look normal and medicines have been tried with no effect than it might be good to go for the spinal tap to check the opening spinal pressure.

Usually people with high intracranial pressure tend to puke a lot.

Can you cough, sneeze or exercise physically?

Is the pulsating in rhytm with your heart beats?

The pulsating noise is called pulsatile tinnitus and it has nothing to do with normal tinnitus. Another common cause for pulsatile tinnitus, besides pseudotumor cerebri, is arterio-venous dural fistulae. This can be checked easily by listening with a stethoscope on the bone behind your ear. Your doctor should do this as part of the examination.

Keep us posted!