Migraines & Headaches Community
Pain in back of head, comes and goes.

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Pain in back of head, comes and goes.

For about 4 months I have been getting a dull pain on the left back side of my head. It is always in the same spot and lasts a few seconds. Sometimes it starts tingling if I am actually laying on that spot. I also recently developed neck and shoulder pain on the left side as well. Sometimes I get a tingling sensation in my arm. I have a little bit of sensitivity to light, but no vision changes.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Was there a previous trauma to your head? Dull-type of pain is usually associated with tension headache while the throbbing-type is with migraine headache. Migraine is also associated with nausea, vomiting and sensitivity to light and sound. These can be managed with rest, prescription medications and avoidance of triggers, mainly stress for tension headache. If it persists, it is best that you check with your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and regards.
Thank you for your reply. I haven't had a previous trauma to my head. It randomly started at the beginning of the summer and lasts for about 3 seconds then goes away. Some days it happens frequently and sometimes maybe once or twice. Sometimes I feel tingling or pressure in that area. It's not very painful, and I have never taken any kind of pain medicine for it. I did see my doctor for it a few weeks ago, and he prescribed a Medrol pack, which didn't really make a lot of difference. It's just a little worrisome to me since I can't think of what would cause it and why it is has been going on for so long.

Thank you for your time.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for the update. If there was no trauma or any underlying cause, this could be due to primary headaches such as tension, migraine or cluster headaches as mentioned. If the Medrol pack did not work, inform your doctor for proper management. Primary headaches may be triggered by any factor including the food you eat, activity, weather and even hormones. Rest, ice pack, prescription medications and avoidance of these triggers may help provide relief. If it persists, further tests like imaging study or blood tests may be done to determine the underlying cause. A referral to a neurologist may also help. Take care and regards.
i have the exact same symptoms! kinda worried.. still dont know whats causing it. have u been back to the doctor? did you have scans?