Migraines & Headaches Community
Paroxysmal Hemicrania?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Paroxysmal Hemicrania?

Hi all, am new here

I have been having almost constant one sided headaches for just over a year, with pressure in my right eye, i was recently told that it was possibly paroxysmal hemicrania and prescribed Indocin and was told that this should work very quickly. I have been taking my meds regularly but to no affect.
I have an Mri booked for later this month to look at pituitary gland (am supposing that this is to check for tumors???)
Does the fact that the meds aren't working mean that the diagnosis may be incorrect???

Many thanks in advance
Twinkle
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Indomethacin, usually provides rapid relief from symptoms of hemicrania. Other medications such as ibuprofen, celecoxib, and naproxen, can provide some relief from symptoms. If these also do not work, it is best that you inform your doctor and further evaluation done to determine the underlying cause. Patients usually obtain complete to near-complete relief of symptoms with proper medical attention and daily medication for this condition. Take care and regards.
ooops meant to say my dosage is 75mg twice a day

Twinkle
Hello
I was diagnosed about 8 months ago with "hermicrania continua" constant one sided headache (right side for me) and take indomethicin for my condition and works well. Maybe u should look into this with your doctor and try it? I hope u find some relief dont ever give up!
Anthony
Thanks for your reply, am hoping to get back and see my GP next week

Twinkle
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I have been back to see my GP today and they have told me to stay on my meds even thought they are doing nothing and to wait for my MRI next week before they do anything else..I have been in near constant pain for a year now and have tried many combinations of pain relief and preventatives but nothing helps. I almost hope that the MRI shows something so that i can finally have some answers (i know that sounds really awful!!!) otherwise its back to trial and error

Twinkle
i still say give indomethacin a try!!!
Hi i have done but had no success, i am  having an MRI next week. i seem to be getting worse now as i have become clumsy and everything seems a bit out of focus i am also feeling like my speech is being affected (feel like i am speaking more slowly than normal??)
am feeling quite worried at the moment??

Twinkle x
Hi, so sorry you are in so much pain.  Your symptoms sound very similar to mine.  I am waiting to see a head pain specialist neuro.  Has anyone ever mentioned hemiplegic migraine?  From what I understand, the symptoms can mimic those of a stroke.  Even with temporary paralysis.  Just something else to consider.

Take care.
Thanks for your reply, am just waiting for mri and trying not to worry too much :O)
Twinkle