Migraines & Headaches Community
Please Help..I went to the ER 3 times in 2 days

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Hi All,
I am a 46 year old woman who has had Migraines for the past 20 years but something has changed. My headaches are normally on the left back side of my head but i woke up with a massive migraine in the back of my neck and leftside of my head. i threw up and my husband drove me to the ER. They gave me a shot and I went home. Then that night i went to the bathroom and must of pushed to hard because I felt something in the back of my neck and within 5 seconds i was down. i couldnt move, it took 3 people to help me. I went to the ER and got another shot, a spinal tap and Cat scane..nothing show up.
Today i sneezed real hard and again felt it in my neck and again with a migraine that i wanted to die.
It feels like i have a large amount of blood trying to squeeze threw a small value. i have stopped exercising because i get massive headaches and sometimes when my husband and i make love it happens.
Does anyone out there know whats goind on?
I would suggest you see a nurologist (sp)?
Migraine is now recognized as a chronic illness, not simply as a headache. About 28 million people suffer from migraines annually. They are often classified by whether or not auras (seeing bright "spots" or "stars") accompany them:
Common migraines are without auras. About 75% of migraines are the common type.
Classic migraines are those with auras.
A person may experience one or the other at different times.If untreated, attacks usually last from 4 - 72 hours.
After a migraine attack, there is usually a postdrome phase, in which patients may feel exhausted and mentally foggy for a while.
Some doctors believe that, unless otherwise demonstrated, any chronic headache consisting of episodes of disabling pain that recur regularly over years should be considered as a migraine.
Basilar Migraine. Considered a subtype of migraine with aura, this migraine starts in the basilar artery, which forms at the base of the skull. It occurs mainly in young people. Symptoms may include vertigo (the room spins), ringing in the ears, slurred speech, unsteadiness, possibly loss of consciousness, and severe headaches.
For many people, migraines eventually go into remission and sometimes disappear completely, particularly as they age. Estrogen decline after menopause may be responsible for remission in some older women.
Migraine or severe headache is a risk factor for stroke in both men and women, especially before age 50.
Many different medications are used to treat migraines. However, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has specifically approved only the following types of drugs for migraine treatment:
Non-prescription drugs: Excedrin Migraine, Advil Migraine, Motrin Migraine Pain
Prescription drugs: Triptans and ergotamine.
Some patients with mild migraines respond well to over-the-counter (OTC) painkillers, particularly if they take the medicine at the very first sign of an attack.
Cooling pads may help during an attack. Some products (Migraine Ice, TheraPatch Headache Cool Gel) use a pad containing a gel that cools the skin for up to 4 hours and can be placed on the forehead, temple, or back of the neck.
ref:http://adam.about.com/reports/Migraine-headaches.htm