Migraines & Headaches Community
Please help

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Please help

I have been getting migraines for about 7 years now. Within the last yr they have gotten worse. I have tried 3 different meds and nothing is working. I have had MRI's and they came back normal. Now Im to the point where the only thing I can do to feel better is go to the emergency room and get an IV. As you can imagine this gets very expensive very fast ($125.00 per visit). Last week my migraine lasted from wendesday through saturday, then back again on monday. Mine are so bad that I can do nothing but lay in a dark room for hours and hours, to the point that I can not function at all. I have pain in my jaw, eyes, and neck. My vision is effected and I get very sick to my stomach. For atleast the first day (if not 2 days) after my migraines I am drained. I feel like I have been out on an all night drunk! In the past few weeks I have caught myself clunching my teeth ( I am supposed to wear my guard for this but I am allergic to whatever it is made of). Im not sure if this is bringing on more migraines or not. I have tried to track them with no results. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when I get them or how long they last. I have asked the doctors if I would be a good canidate for the shots you can give your self but I am not seeming to get an answer. I feel sometimes that I will just have to suffer with these the rest of my life. I hate them! My migraines have taken so much away from my family....we have had to change plans, miss important events ( school activities)...things we will never get back. I have started a new job, I have been there since Nov 07 and I have had to miss work already due to migraines. My boss seems to understand, but I am sure that I cant miss all the time. I worry about that....if I get another spell where I am down for days what will happen- I cant lose my job. Will someone please help me with any information, something thats has worked for you or someone you know.....ANYTHING AT ALL!!!! Thanks so much for reading.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

You have been diagnosed with migraines for 7 years ? In a month's time , would you say that you would have the migraines for more than 15 days? How often do you take medications? Do you combine medications to get relief?

Have you consulted with a neurologist lately just to have your headaches reassessed and reclassified if needed?One thing about long term migraines is that with medication over use and with time they may transform into chronic daily headaches. Discuss with your physician preventive migraine therapy and the possibilty that your case may be due to transformed migraines due to medication over use. If you are currently taking any medications, do not stop or taper them until you have informed your physician prescriber about these.
Yep, I have had these for 7 yrs now. On average I get 4 migraines per month (sometimes alot more!!) Up until the last year I wasnt on any type of medications. The doctor that I was seeing wouldnt give me anything unless I took the pill and we were trying to have a baby so that wasnt a choice. I finally decided to try another doctor and she is the one that has given me the meds. First I tried Topamax and it did nothing. Then I was on Axert, every migraine I had to take 2 doses and It didnt make it better just kept it from getting worse. Now I am on imitrex 100mg. It is doing the same as the Axert - just keeps them from getting worse. I run into problems when I have spells where I get a migraine for a week. I only get 10 pills per month due to my insurance. So that means I can only have 5 migraines in a month.sometimes I dont take my meds like I should cuz I dont want to "waste" it on a migraine that I can handle with no meds ( i have gotten tough lol). I go to the neurologist next Thursday at 2:30. I have my MRI results from August 07 to take with me. I am just so tired of living like this. Sometimes it truely makes me depressed! Thanks for talking with me!
For your migraine, these exercises will help you very much.You will start to feel generally feel better after 7 days and the migraines will disappear gradually over a few months.Drink warm water.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.
Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 15 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom -  Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep breaths into the lungs.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 15 times