Migraines & Headaches Community
Pop in the back of my Head?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Pop in the back of my Head?

Please bear with me on this, i'll try and explain everything as much as I can. I'm into weightlifting, and I have been for almost 2 years. But about 2 weeks ago I went into the gym felling pumped and normal as usual. I started my set with a reasonably low amount of weight, 65lb dumbbell Incline Bench. I went up for the first set put up (5) reps, than I went to lean foward to put the weight down on the ground, and something made a "pop" like feeling in the back of my head (near the top of my neck, right where it meets with your back of your head) (but it didn't feel like a bone but more of like muscle or tissue) and than almost instantly it felt like i was going to black out. My vision blurred and I was extremly light headed for the first couple minutes. I went and sat down and took a break.

For the rest of the day I had unbelievably painful headaches for the rest of the day. But when nighttime came, I went out with acouple friends (not drinking just hanging out) and it felt like I always needed to apply pressure to temporary relieve some pain. I took 2 codeine asprins, and 15 minutes later it got worse, almost twice as bad.

The next couple of days I woke up with the same headache, and went to sleep with the same headache. It lasted for about 3-4 days. Now I don't have any of the terrible headaches as before, but i'm finding headaches more frequent than prior to this incident. I've also noticed my neck is in need for constant "cracking" (like you turn your head and crack it) and it feels as if EVERY bone is being popped. But in a good way like relieving pressure built up in the back of my head. Unlike before you'd only hear 3-4 "pops".

I'm just getting alittle worried. I've never had that happen to where something just does that for no reason. I don't want to go through that again.

I've never had any major concussion, no tumors (that i know of) or anyother medical problem with my head. Please help me with some medical advice, I don't really have any medical insurance to cover docters visits and MRI scans...

:\
Still havent been to the docter. anybody know what might have happened?

There is a possibility that what you suffered from was exertional headache. Exertional headache occurs during periods of intense physical activity. The possibility of migraine and headache due to cervical spine issues like neck spondylosis, disc prolapse and disc herniation also cannot be ruled out.
This requires a clinical evaluation by your GP. In the meantime avoid any strenuous physical activity, do some gentle neck exercises and take OTC pain killers for pain.
Keep us posted!