Migraines & Headaches Community
Positional Headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Positional Headaches

I have been having positional headaches now for 10 months. I am seeing supposely the best neurologist in the area but it takes 3 months in between each test result and before I get to see her again. My MRIs she said were the same as before with the Brain and Cervical Neck. My sed rate is high. I have had no injuries. Other symptoms are fatique, pain in both my arms especially in my wrist joints with tingling more like a rush from too much caffeine. I have no problems sleeping because I am so tired by the end of the day. By end of day I am very nervous and fearful. I take no medication because no pain medication helps. I really take no medication at all.Where do I go from here. Do I try to see another doctor who is not a neurologist since it does not seem to be head related? I seem like I am stuck in the ground hog movie because every day is the same.  
ME TOO.....I USE ICE......ALL OVER WHEREVER I HURT....BACK, NECK SHOULD, HEAD EYEBALL, JAW EAR.......................CAN'T TAKE MEDS ANYMORE....I'M WAITING FOR A PSYCHIATRIC VISIT..........STRESS ?       I DON'T KNOW.....I'M STRESSED NOW AND DON'T HAVE THE HEADACHE OR  PAINS.............SO THAT PROVES NOT SO, I BELIEVE...............ITS VERY UNUSUAL WHEN I GET IT.....I KNOW ITS NOT HORMONES........DR. FIGURES..........
      I'M IN HEAVEN WHEN I DON'T HAVE PAIN...............
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Do you experience worsening or onset of the headache within a few minutes of standing, and improvement or resolution after laying down? Could you elaborate on your MRI results? Spontaneous Intracranial Hypotension usually presents as a postural headache. Associated symptoms include a significant posterior neck pressure, neck stiffness, visual changes, vertigo, hearing loss, extreme nausea, radicular nerve pain in the arm, and sometimes a tremor, rigidity or postural instability. Most patients respond to blood patches, and surgery if necessary. If this is the case, it would be best to find a neurosurgeon or neurologist who is familiar with this problem since others may explore other directions before coming to  this diagnosis.

I hope this helps. Take care and keep us posted.
Sorry in getting back to you but the worsening of the onset of the headache usally begins about an hour after getting up and getting to work and improves upon laying down. On MRI results - I had 4 white spots and a bulging disc with C5 & C6 but was not compressing against anything. Pain and stiffness generates from my headaches to the back of my neck and shoulders and upper back. My nerve pains in my arms last night was so bad that I could hardly move them. Fatique is very bad right now due to how long the pain has occurred and not missing work. I do software design work. The nerurologist I am seeing is supposed to be the best. I had a cisternogram done at the hospital here but they did not perform the test correctly nor did they do the tests for the spinal fluid that they extracted. She was wanting to waiti and do some other testing before she put me through it again. My nerves have gotten bad from all the pain as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sometimes (like last night) I feel like I am going to die if I do not get help soon.
I have not heard back from you since my post on 6/24th in reply to your questions. When you get a chance, can you please respond. Headaches are becoming more dipiliating along with the other symptoms of joint aches and pains, nervousness, fear....etc.

thanks
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? I'm really sorry for not replying sooner. Was there any problem with the cisternogram procedure? If a lumbar tap was done, headache and back pain are some of the side effects. Due to the internet's limitations as a clinical tool, it is difficult to reach a diagnosis at this point. I suggest you talk which pain management is best with your doctor while waiting for the procedures to be done. If pain medications does not really work for you, you might want to try relaxation exercises. And use heat, such as hot water bottles, heating pads, or hot baths, to relax tense muscles; or ice, such as an ice pack applied to the back or the neck or the temples. Others improve with massage therapy and biofeedback, which can reduce muscle tension, especially in your neck and shoulder muscles. This muscle tension can cause headaches or make them worse. People often use yoga, meditation, acupuncture and other complementary practices to improve wellness and quality of life. This link may be helpful:
http://www.webmd.com/balance/tc/complementary-medicine-topic-overview
Take good care of yourself. Get plenty of rest and keep us posted.