Migraines & Headaches Community
Pounding Headache when I stand up, bend over

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Thank you for helping me with my problem. Two Saturdays ago, I woke up with a stiff neck. It went away the next day. The following Tuesday, I was grading what felt like a million papers. My head started pounding. I figured it was probably my blood pressure because I do have a history of high BP; however, I take medicine to control it and it seems to work really well. To backtrack a minute, before I had the stiff neck, I had an ear infection and ulcers in the back of my throat. I was on the tail end of recovering from an ear infection when I awoke with a stiff neck. (I have no idea whether or not this is important but I feel somehow it might be). My headache never disappeared and has gotten worse. I have been to the doctor twice and went to the Emergency Room once. I had a CAT scan and it came back fine. I was given an IV drip in the ER with some sort of Benadryl mixture in it. I went to two different doctors and the injected me with something that had pain medicine and possibly a muscle relaxer. Nothing I took work. Today, my head does not hurt 100 percent of the time like it did. It hurts but nothing like when I stand up, walk right after standing up, or bending over. Also, when I get upset or stressed out, my head throbs and kills me. Al lot of my co-workers complain of having symptoms and such that they have never had before coming to work where I am now. Also, strong smells, such as cleaning fluid or air fresheners cause my head to hurt. The building where I word was extremely damaged during Hurricane Katrina and from my understanding, the building was just patched up and not torn down and built again. When I stand up, my head throbs and it feels literally like my head is going to explode. The only thing I have felt that helps me a little is grabbing my head when it starts pounding. It helps until I start walking. I am scared and am wondering if the next doctor will know what to look for. I have an appointment with my regular doctor on Friday but I am really scared because I am wondering what is going on with me. I have never had a migraine in my life. I rarely have headaches. I did have a horrible car wreck where my head hit the windshield going 55mph but that was back in 1991. I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions or any clues to what I could possibly have. I am 41 years old, obese woman. Thank you in advance for your help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? It is good that the CT scan was fine. If you have plenty of co-workers with the same symptoms, this could indeed be due to environmental or occupational causes. Your history of previous head injury is also significant because headaches may sometimes felt long after the accident. Have this checked by on occupational doctor or be referred to a neurologist. Take care and do keep us posted.
Hi I was told I have strep throat by my Dr  3 days ago I'm on a antibiotic an today when I stand up I get a bad headache only happens when I stand up then disappears . Does anyone no what this could be?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? This could be due to  postural hypotension or side effect of your medication. This happens when there is abrupt change in your blood pressure when you stand up. Other symptoms associated with these are dizziness, lightheadedness and even fainting. If it persists, have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and regards.
Hello~  I have had some of the same things going on for almost a month.  I had a cuncussion a month ago.  I had a CT and it came back fine.  Now in the same spot where I hit my had I have constent pain.  It gets worse when I stand up.  It is a severe throbbing feeling and sometimes I get dizzy.  My Doctor says he doesn't know what going on?  He has ordered another CT but I'm worried. Should I be?
It is unlikely but one sign of a cerebral spinal fluid leak is headaches that get worse when u stand. A way to rule this out is by having a spinal tap. They suck tho. U might bring this up with your doctor since he's trying to help. Ur doc would know more about where u conked ur head and whether a csf leak would even be a possibility to rule out.
Horselip