Migraines & Headaches Community
Prednisone helping migraines?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Prednisone helping migraines?

I've had migraines off and on since I was a young teen and since I've gotten ill with fibromyalgia and lupus, they have gotten worse (I'm aware that they can go along with both/either one of those conditions).  The past several months they have gotten much more frequent and severe - sometimes having 3-4 of them a week.  They are "typical" migraines with the visual auras, nausea, vomiting, light and sound sensitivity, etc. - nothing in that regard has changed.  My doctor has referred me to a neurologist to see about the migraines and I have an appointment with them the middle of January (first available appointment they had).

About 3-4 weeks ago, I came down with a horrible case of bronchitis and a severe asthma attack - for which my doctor gave me an antibiotic and put me on prednisone - to stay on the prednisone at least until he sees me again the 11th of January.  I've been on prednisone many times in my life for my asthma, lupus, arthritis - so it's not a new medication for me and I'm well aware of all of the possible side effects of it, especially when having to take it long term.

However, this time, since being on prednisone I've noticed a remarkable thing and I'm not sure if it's just me or if anyone else has had this happen.  In these 3-4 weeks that I've been on the prednisone, I've only had ONE migraine and it was nowhere near as severe as they had been recently and did not last very long (unlike the others recently that have lasted a minimum of 24 hours each).

Am I nuts or is it possible that the prednisone is actually HELPING my migraines?  Of course, I plan on asking both my regular doctor and the neurologist about this also, but I was just wondering if anyone else has ever tried prednisone for migraines or noticed a change for the better in their migraines if they've had to be on it for other reasons.  It's especially interesting/strange to me because quite often when I've had to be on prdnisone in the past, it has actually caused me to have headaches (not migraines, but "regular" headaches) - so for it to actually be helping the migraines is very astonishing to me.

Any suggestions/ideas/information regarding this possiblity would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
Sorry to hear about your medical conditions.  I also have asthma, fibromyalgia and daily migraines as well as other medical conditions, so I can sympathize.  

Yes, steroids can help headaches.  But I think that you are sounding a bit casual about the "possible side effects".  Steroids destroy your whole body.  There are many other treatments and medications to treat your migraines.  Take what you need to take for your asthma, etc., but don't take steroids for your migraines.

All the best to you.

All the best to you.

Oh crud!  I just typed an entire response and dummy me went to choose your answer as the best answer BEFORE I hit post a comment - and lost my entire response!  Hopefully I can remember what I typed!

Thank you so much for your response to my question.  I'm sorry you also suffer from multiple health issues and daily migraines.

It is nice to know, however, that I'm not actually crazy and that others have had steroids help migraines also.  This was just something that I am not used to - as I said in my original post, the prednisone usually ends up CAUSING headaches (although not migraines) for me when I have to be on it - I've nicknamed them my "steroid headaches".

Believe me - I have NO intention of staying on the prednisone any longer than I absolutely have to - either for the asthma or for possible prevention of migraines.  I suredly did not mean to sound like I was downplaying the side effects of prednisone - they ARE horrible.  I've had to be on it so often in my life (and sometimes at HIGH doses), I know it has already ruined my bones, already ruined my stomach, etc.  Right now I have no choice but to be on it, but as soon as it's ok for me to start weaning down adn get off of it completely again, I definitely plan on doing it.

I've tried Imitrex for the migraines, but was not able to take it - it shot my BP up very quickly and very high (170/103) and gave me chest pains.  I know there are other meds out there for migraines, so I'm hopeful that when I go to the neurologist in a couple of weeks, they'll have an idea of which one/s I can try that might not do that to me.

Again, thank you so much for your response - I hope 2012 brings you much improved health and much happiness!
Thanks for responding back!  

BTW, I also took prednisone for 8 months due to a severe lung disease caused by a medication that the doctor never checked me about.  I even questioned her at the time about being on it steadily and was told that it was just a low level antibiotic with no problems.  I have osteroporosis even after taking Fosamax for the past 6 years.

I do hope that your appt. with the neurologist will be helpful to you.  From reading these postings, there are many inadequate ones.  With the frequency of the headaches that you have, you need a daily prophylactic medication that will help to reduce/prevent the headaches.  Otherwise taking any pain killer, even something over the counter, just causes constant rebound headaches.  That's what my first neurologist did to me after my stroke with my severe migraines.  He just put me on Lorcet, 24/7, which is an opiate pain killer.  What an idiot!

My next appointment with another neurologist, 8 months later, gave me nerve block injections which reduced my migraines so much that I went off the Lorcet cold turkey.  Other doctors thought I would need rehab for it.  Then a doctor wanted me to get an endoscopy to check for pre-cancerous cells in my esophagus, but had me wait for months to get it because she didn't think the anesthesia would work after taking the opiates for so long!  What if I had been in a car accident???  So hopefully I've made my point.

There are treatments as well, including accupuncture, Botox injections, many prophylactic medications, a new Butrans patch which gives you non-addictive 24/7 opiates, etc.  So do not give up.  There is much hope for you.

And wishing you a more healthy, painfree 2012.