Migraines & Headaches Community
Pregnant with weird headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Pregnant with weird headaches

I am 32 weeks pregnant and about 7 weeks ago began having strange symptoms that are likely not related to pregnancy according to OB.  I started with transient tingling sensation on the left side of my head then the following happened: clicking noise in left ear, sizzling noise in neck (both of those happen mostly when laying down at night), buzzing sensations in limbs, dizziness, nausea (mostly when sleeping and wake with it in middle of night), and headache (seems like headaches comes and goes but is there more often than not and is in two places--right temple sinus like headache with the artery in my temple sore to touch and a sharper pain in the back of left head by the neck that sometimes shoots upward towards left temple).  The headache has lasted for about 2 weeks now.  I had an MRI without contrast (b/c of pregnancy) about 2 weeks ago (just before the dizziness and headaches started) and it was negative.  I was wondering first whether I could rely on the negative MRI given it was w/o contrast and what could this be, particularly the headaches?  I should note I have fluid in both ears currently and slight nasal congestion, post nasal drip, but no tenderness in the sinus cavaties.
Most importantly you need to take care of the nasal congestion first. Take steam inhalation and saline nasal drops 3 -4 times a day. Ask your doctor for nasal sprays. Do not take OTC antihistaminics during pregnancy. Also you need to get a ENT check up to find out the cause of ear discharge. This could be responsible for your symtoms (symptoms). Once these are taken care of you should feel better. Goodluck.
I recently noticed my blood sugar levels are all over the place.  I borrowed a glucose meter from a friend and noticed my blood sugar levels are all over the place, going really low before eating and then sometimes really high afterwards.  Could "sugar" issues cause the all my symptoms?  This week I've noticed my legs and arms feel heavy (especially during times of sugar "bounce") and mental fogginess.
Also, I don't feel I'm all that congested, as I've had ear and sinus trouble my whole life.  I've done decongestans and nasal spray.  I already went to ENT who indicated in pregnancy with more mucous production there tends to be a build up of fluid in the ears and wanted me to wait for further eval after having the baby.  However, the symptoms are concerning me so I'm trying to figure this out now.  Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks.
As a life long migraine sufferer, not a doctor sorry, but I would trust the MRI w/o contrast.  They use them all the time.  Sometimes, the tech cannot get the needle in the patients arm for the dye.  They will only try so many times and then they take scans w/o dye (contrast).  Also, during pregnancy your hormones are all over the place.  I was hospitalized during my second month because the migraine actually raised by blood pressure.  Have you had your glucose tolerance test yet?  They do one to make sure you don't have diabetes brought on by pregnancy.  Low blood sugar wiill definitely give you a headache.  Can you ask the OB/GYN is you can do the swimmer's ear treatment OTC?  I don't know if the fluid is in your middle or inner ear.  But I am betting it's not the ears - my two cents is blood sugar or migraine.  If you call the OB/GYN I bet the move up the glucose test - sorry I don't remember what month they do it in.  But Kudos on using the glucose meter I think that is great that you took the initiative.  Since you have it - I would track the ups/downs with symptoms.  It will really be useful to the doc.  God Bless your pregnancy!
Get an OBG consultation nad tell her about your blood sugar levels.Yes the fluctuating blood sugar levels could be causing your symptoms. You will probably be advised a glucose tolerance test. Discuss with your OBG about what needs to be done. If you are still not convinced you could suggest about getting an MRI done. You need to eat at regular intervals and avoid high sugar foods. Goodluck.
I see my OB on Tues and have been using a diary re: blood sugar levels.  It seems they fall below 70 within 2-4 hrs. after eating or sometimes once I eat the levels have shot up to 250plus.  I have been eating more regularly and avoiding the high sugar now for 4-5 days, but am still trying to get the hang of it.  I started feeling weak and have seen flashing white lights twice within 3 days (not during a sugar "attack").  Can this be related to sugar and can you have neuro symptoms even when you're not having an attack?  I did have the brain MRI 3 weeks ago but it was w/o contrast b/c of pregnancy.  Can I rely on this?
Thanks for your reply.  I don't think it's migraine b/c I noticed I only wake up with it and then it's gone within minutes usually (sometimes reappearing throughout the day).  It feels since but my usual sinus headaches get better upon laying down.  I am checking into the blood sugar thing and thanks for giving me some hope on accuracy with MRI.  I don't think it's the ears either......