Migraines & Headaches Community
Pressure on top of head after long periods of sleep?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I went through an event that lasted about a year of depression and unemployment stemming from lumbosacral (lower spine) and neck pain due to a car collision which left me depressed and bedridden for most of the day. I've spent about one year sleeping 14 hours a day. Within the last few months i've been noticing that upon waking up I would have a feeling of pressure on top of my head and sometimes a sharp pain in that area. I would notice that the pressure/pain comes back during the day especially if my neck muscles are tight. Going through that year I lacked a lot of physical activity and nutrition, especially vitamin d and calcium. However, within the past month i've been cutting down on the hours of sleep which is now about 10-12 hours a night, progressing to 8 hours soon. I've also been getting better nutrition and more physical activity during the day such as house chores and walking.

I would like to ask if this is common with oversleeping and with neck injuries?
Also should i expect it to heal anytime soon?

Thanks much
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Headache is a symptom that may occur after injury to the head, neck or brain and it might persist for months or years. This may also be accompanied with other symptoms such as dizziness, difficulty in concentration, nervousness, personality changes and insomnia which is known as  post-traumatic syndrome. In most patients, the frequency and severity of the headache diminishes with time and sometimes, the headache usually disappears within six to 12 months. If it persists, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.