Migraines & Headaches Community
Propanolol and Fioricet Interaction?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Propanolol and Fioricet Interaction?

Can I take my Fioricet while taking Propanolol?
Hi Sandy5342,

I think that the best person to ask this question to would be the pharmacist you bought these medications from.

On medhelp, there is a "Ask a Pharmacist" forum as well, maybe posting this question there might be helpful to you too. This is the link to the forum: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Ask-a-Pharmacist/show/296

Most of us here are not doctors or pharmacists so we don't have the knowledge or the authority to answer that question.

I am not a doctor or a pharmacists, so I can't answer your question. What I can tell you though is that Propanolol is a Beta Blocker used for the preventative treatment of migraine headaches and that Fioricet is a butalbital that is sometimes used for the acute treatment of migraine headache. Fioricet also has acetaminophen and caffeine in it too, as well as the main butalbital medication; and because it has acetaminophen and caffeine in it, it is not an appropriate medication to take daily or multiple times a week for the acute treatment of migraine headache because it will likely cause rebound headache if taken often, although taking it a few times a month is fine. I take a beta blocker but I do not take propanolol so I really couldn't tell you about drug interactions. With the beta blocker I take, I think this combination would be fine, but different beta blockers may have different interactions. I would check with your pharmacist. You could also read the patient information that came with the two medications to check for listed interactions.

Hope that helps! :)
If you don't know the answer, don't respond.  People aren't looking for your dumb **** suggestion to ask a pharmacist.  They already know and are waiting for their appointment to do that.  They're here looking for what to expect.  If you don't know, don't answer just to hear yourself talk.