Random
I'm seventeen and laterly I have been experiencing very random headaches. These headaches have occured since around August. I can be sitting down in a chair doing absolutely nothing, and my head will start pounding in random spots and disappear just as fast as they come. Sometimes, however, these headaches will continue on throughout the day only to get worse. There is usually no warning that I am about to get a headache -- they just come. And when they come they are usually piercing, dull, or sometimes they feel like someone hit me in the head with a hammer. I have no problems with sinuses or with my eyes, nor have I had any head injuries. I did, however, when I was born, have mild hydrocephaulus, but there are definately no signs of it now. Do you have any advice. I have been to the doctor and I am in the process of getting some type of medication for these headaches,the doctor, however, can not tell me the cause of my headaches or the type of headaches they are. Can you help me? If my headaches do continue, I am to be referred to a neurologist.

Just a few questions:

Were there any prior history of head or neck injury?

Any bleeding problems like gum bleed, tea colored urine?

Any signs of neck stiffness? fever? rash?

Differentials for your headaches will be cervicogenic headaches (headaches secondary to a spine problem), sinus headaches,hemicrania continua,tension headaches,occipital and trigeminal neuralgia. Migraine and tension headaches are given as diagnosis once other conditions have been excluded.

In your case, you are young and these headaches it seems are not asociated with any vigorous activity.I suggest that a cranial CT scan and bleeding parameters be checked.A complete ENT assessment may also help.

Avoid taking any alcohol and drinks containing caffeine.Engage in mild to moderate exercises, take plenty of water and keep a specific sleep and meal schedule. A referral to a neurologist is necessary so your headaches will be classified.
As far as I know I have not had any type of head or neck injuries, my urine is not tea coloured and I don't have gum bleeding. And there is no neck stiffness, rash, or fever.

I was prescribed Midrin, and I will begin to take them on Monday, if and when I get a headache. I guess if they do not work, after a week of taking them, I will see a neurologist. I am supposed to get checked for anemia as well.

Just a question: I have donated blood before, but I was getting headaches well before I did this. Do you recommend that I donate again?

Blood donors are usually being assessed prior to having their blood accepted for donation. I see no contraindication for donating blood unless anemia and an infection is present.

At this point , just follow your doctor's advice and take the medications.If your headaches persist then get a follow up consult for further assessment.
Well I have taken the Midrin for a week and so far the headaches have lost their intensity, but at other points they seem just as strong. I was told not to take the medicine everyday because of it's dependence, but if I have some sort of headache everyday, do I still take them. At most of the time I have to take it 3-5 pills in order for the headache to go away clearly without springing right back up. I think I should just asked to be referred to a neurologist instead.

I suggest that you should inform your physician about the lack of response of your headaches to the drug.Also, this drug may cause rebound headaches. That is your headaches may get worse over time once you decided to stop using the drug.However, taking this drug more than 3 days in a week is not advisable. Discuss this with your physician. Your medications may need to be stopped ,however a close supervision by your physician is necessary.Do not taper or stop the medications without consulting your physician.

You may need preventive migraine therapy .Discuss the advantages of this form of therapy in your case.