Migraines & Headaches Community
Relief from migraines while breastfeeding

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I am a 30yr old female who has suffered with migraines since I was 13.  They seemed to be triggered by menustration.  They have progressively gotten worse through the years.  I have been to too many neurologists to count and can still find no relief.  I recently gave birth to my first child in July 09.  Since then I have had a migraine non stop for about 2 months now.  My OB has tried me on Imitrex (it didn't work) and Maxalt (didn't work either)  I recently went to the ER for this headache and they gave me an injection of Stadol and Phenergan.  It relieved it a little, but then it came back the next day.  I don't know what to do.  I am breastfeeding and am very worried about the effects these drugs could have on my son.  I read recently about a product called MigreLief and how it worked for others who didn't get relief anywhere else.  It's a combination of feverfew, magnesium, and Riboflavin.  It seems to be high doses of these ingredients, which is why I think they say to consult your doctor before starting this product if pregnant or breastfeeding.  If it is simply herbs and vitamin supplements, what's the danger in taking it if you are breastfeeding?  I don't know what else to do.  Please help with any suggestions!
Hi there,

Herbs are medicine!! They can be extremely toxic and that is why you must always check with your doctor before using an herb while breast feeding or while pregnant or even while you are on ANY other medications or if you have ANY other medical conditions. Just because something is "natural" does NOT mean it is "safe"!!!!!!!!

But! As for the medicine you are talking about, Migrelief, it is a combination of scientifically proven herbs and vitamins and minerals that treat migraines.

But... I think the feverfew is dangerous in your situation. And, the magnesium dosage is slightly higher than what is right for a nursing woman... and oddly enough slightly lower than what is scientifically proven for helping migraines. The B2 is the right dosage though, and probably safe for you, but I would check with your doctor.

The REGULAR dosages for migraines for magnesium is 400mg and for B2 is 400mg. BUT! Since you are breast feeding... it is important that you do NOT exceed 350mg of magnesium a day. It is also important that you check with your doctor before taking magnesium, because magnesium should never be taken with some medical conditions and with some other medications. B2 on the other hand is extremely safe. But, since you are breast feeding I would still check with your doctor just to make sure.

I would NOT take this medication at all. But I WOULD take some of the things that are IN this medication! :)

The feverfew is NOT safe since you are breastfeeding. There is no evidence that it is safe for children or breast feeding women, and it is extremely dangerous for pregnant women because it can cause miscarriage. And the magnesium dose is much too high.

Instead, I would buy the B2 and magnesium citrate separately. And, I would take 400mg of the B2 daily, since that is what is scientifically proven to work... but please just double check with the pharmacist or your family doctor to make sure it is okay first. I would also get magnesium citrate too, but with this one you really must check with your doctor first to make sure it is okay, and then take 350mg OR LESS a day as long as you are breast feeding. When you are DONE breast feeding you can take 400mg of the magnesium a day... but do NOT do this while you are breast feeding. While you are breast feeding, ONLY take 350mg OR LESS of the magnesium as long as your doctor approves.

Another scientifically proven supplement that works for migraines if taken daily is Coenzyme Q10 taken at 300mg a day. BUT! Again, this has not been proven safe in nursing women or young children. So, you can talk to your doctor about trying it if you want to take the chance... or you can wait until you stop nursing first. There are also many situations, such as drug interactions and medical conditions, where you can't take CoQ10... so, that's another reason to check with your doctor first. But, after you finish breast feeding it might be something to consider trying daily as well.