Migraines & Headaches Community
Right side headache?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Right side headache?

Today I've had a sharp stabbing pain on the right side of my head.  It usually lasts less than 30 seconds, but it stops whatever I'm doing since I immediately rub my head where the pain is.  I sometimes get this headache 4-5 times per day.  I don't normally feel them when I sleep.  I don't get fuzzy vision, I don't feel dizzy.  I've had this type headache in the past.  Is it stress related?  Or is it something more serious?  I'm worried and I've called two of my doctors, but have heard nothing yet.  I took advil, an it didn't stop the headache from reoccurring.
I have the same thing as Trish. I get a sharp stabbing pain on the right side of my head for thirty seconds and it goes away as soon as it came. I get them a couple times a day. And even one right after the other most times. I admit that I have cried because of the pain.  I have had medical problems in the past that the doctors could not figure out. When I went to a neurologist he said I was fine after doing some tests. That was 3 years ago and when I went to go back this time my doctor refused to give me a reference to go to a neurologist. That is not all though I also get some sort of feeling in the front of my head. My doctor told me I was crazy but I can feel some sort of liquid moving in my head. I understand that it is crazy and impossible but it is like a cool breeze or a sensation I cant control. I want to know what it is because it seems to be taking over my life and everyday activities.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This short lived stabbing and intermmitent headaches may be nerve related. Differentials will be a cervicogenic headache, hemicrania continua, paroxysmal hemicrania and cluster headaches.These are just differentials.These forms of headaches are characterized by short stabbing or sharp pains usually involving one side of the head.However,as in the case of hemicrania continua, this may be rare.

Trigeminal neuralgia and occipital neuralgia may also be differentials.Trigeminal neuralgia is associated with severe pain near the eyes and temples and may also involve the lateral aspects of the face.This type of neuralgia may be highly sensitive to an other wise non painful stimuli like combing the hair or brushing the teeth.Occipital neuralgia is usually associated with pain at the back of the head .

Any previous history of trauma or injury to the head and neck before?