Migraines & Headaches Community
Right sides head tenderness and pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Right sides head tenderness and pain

I am having pain and tenderness on the right side of my head.   The pain last only seconds and comes and go with no pattern.   My scalp feels warm to the touch .  I had an Mri in December which showed Microvascular Ischemic Gliosis-consistant with age and I also have cervical stenosis at C-5/6 &6/7 and at C-3/4 & 4/5 a broad disc protrusion with severe rt and bilateral formaminal narrowing.  Surgery has been recommended.  Is it possible this is the cause of my problem?   The only thing sounding close to my symtons if the Occipital Neuraglia.   I am a 62 yr old active female in good health except for my back and neck issues.   Thank you.
Avatar dr f tn
How are you? It is possible that the pain may be related to your neck issues. Vascular as well as neurological issues are often involved. Occipital neuralgia is usually characterized by piercing, throbbing, or electric-shock-like chronic pain in the upper neck, back of the head, and behind the ears, usually on one side of the head.The pain in occipital neuralgia can be caused by irritation or injury to the nerves, which can be the result of trauma to the back of the head, pinching of the nerves by overly tight neck muscles, compression of the nerve as it leaves the spine due to osteoarthritis, tumors or other types of lesions in the neck. Treatment of this condition is generally symptomatic and includes massage and rest. Other treatments may include local nerve blocks and injections of steroids directly into the affected area. Recovery is usually complete after the bout of pain has ended. If it persists, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. If   surgery was advised previously, discuss this with your attending also. Take care and best regards.