Migraines & Headaches Community
SEVERE HEADACHE DUE TO INCREASED HEART RATE

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Im 23 years old. When I was 14 working out in the weight room i had a sudden headache come about. It was the most severe pain i had ever felt. It went away as my heart rate slowed. But lingered for about an hour. It happened to me quite often at that age. Then it just went away, unitl recently. Im currently working on getting back in shape for bootcamp in may. I started running this past thursday. I ran a mile with no headache or any effects. I then took a couple days due to being sore. Today I was going to run the same mile. I got to the half mile point and had a severe headache hit me. The same exact type that i had had in the past. It feels like im being stabbed in the back of the head with a knife. I have noticed that it is happening when my heart rate increases, like during sex last night I had the same headache. So bad it makes me not want to move/or pull my head off. But when my heart rate slows down so does the pain of the headache, then im left with a lingering (very mild) throbbing headache for about an hour. Whats my problem?
Thank You for any help!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? This could be due to exertion headache which is associated with active or passive exertions such as running, coughing, sexual contact and even bowel movement. While pain medications may help, it is recommended to have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Additional diagnostic tests such as imaging studies may also be done to rule out organic causes. Take care and do keep us posted.