Migraines & Headaches Community
Severe Headache due to Straining During BM

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I don't know which type of headache to classify this is, so I just chose Other Headaches as the topic...

This morning while work the third shift at my job, I finally got the feeling to use the bathroom, at about 4:30 AM.  It had been a few days since my last BM, but this is not unusual due to the fact that I have been on Methadone for the past 2 years, and it has made me very constipated since the first day I was on it.  I usually have to strain for the bowel movements to come out and when they do, they are very hard, and it hurts down there. Today it hurt very bad, resulting in a little bleeding due to hemorrhoids, but that too is normal.  Today's experience was much different than any other experience I have ever had on the toilet before though...

While I was straining to get it out, which had to be done because it was so painful today on the way out, I felt a very sharp pain in my forehead over my left eye.  This grew to be more painful, maybe the most painful thing I have ever experienced, and I have broken bones.  It felt like someone was stabbing me with a sharp knife in that one spot on my forehead.  Now when I was pushing, and I was pushing VERY hard, I may have been holding my breath or had little breathing, although all the pain didn't have me really focusing on that, so I am just assuming, and I did feel a lot of pressure go to my head, which I normally do, but it has to be done to get this stuff out of me.  The pressure in my head has never resulted in anything like this before.

After the first BM passed, more followed and the pain was gone down there, but my severe headache did not go away.  Now I got scared, as I still am.  The headache is still there ten hours later, and even though it does not hurt in that one spot as bad as it did, the headache has spread like a band around my forehead.  I took ibuprofen and slept for a few hours, hoping to have some relief, but I just woke to the same headache.  I don't have health insurance and cannot afford to go to the hospital, so that is like a last resort for me.

I am really afraid that I may have popped a vessel or something in my head somewhere.  I don't know if it sinus related either because my inner ears feel differently too.  I am afraid it may be stroke related, to TiA related, just because of what I have read.  What is a fact is that I did not have a headache prior to the BM, and while pushing, I had the most excruciating headache in that one spot, and now a severe headache that does not seem to want to go away.  Any information on what this could be would be greatly appreciated, as I am scared like I said, and I don't want to go to the hospital if I don't have to...
HI...have u been to a GI dr due in part to the constipation from the meds?A stool softener may help like senokot...to keep things moving and avoid the strain that causes the hemorroids (hemorrhoids) and the headache u also mentioned.

Do u know if ur BP is high or low?

Do u foresee getting insurance netime soon?

U really need to be seen by a dr.

"selma"
I typically have a lower BP, but in this situation, I'm sure my BP was very high.  That I'm sure made the headache worse, I am just wondering if a vessel or something may have popped in my head, and what signs or symptoms I should be looking for if that is the case.

As for the constipation, I have meds for that, strong laxatives actually, but they are a bit too strong for my liking, so I haven't been taking them, and I never had a problem like this before.

I have a really important interview/meeting tomorrow morning, so after that I may go to the doctor/hospital if the problem still persists.  In the meantime, I was hoping to get some answers on here, or find out if this was severe enough to skip the interview and run to the hospital right now, but my appointment tomorrow is too important to miss...  So if anyone has any insight on this now, today, as to what this may be, or what other signs and symptoms to look for, please let me know...

Hi my BP was always on the low side and it still is, the head pain with strain for me  has been as long as I can remember.There r other softeners that r no as harsh, like the senokot I mentioned.

2 yrs ago I was dx'd with chiari malformation which made it clear as to y I had this issue....

Do u have headaches on and off without the strain?...blurry vision , balance issues...... or nething else?

"selma"
I do normally have mild headaches, but this is definitely different...  It has now been over 24 hours with this severe headache just over my left eye, keeping me up all day and night, and today I have this appointment, and I will not be myself...  Yes I have blurry vision now with this headache, which doesn't normally happen, so I think I am having a migraine; balance may or may not be an issue, not too sure...  I think I will go to the hospital today after my appointment, and maybe get a CT scan, and see what the doctor(s) say...  Until then, I just have to deal with this horrible headache...  None of the pain relievers help either, tried everything except aspirin, so maybe I will give that a shot today...  Wish me luck today, and I will update later...
Have u had a recent fall...or have u been in a MVA  in the last yr or so?

I am just trying to look at all possibilities...and wonder if something happened to change how  u r feeling.

Good luck today

"selma"
What I have is a "Headache (mucous retention cyst frontal sinus)."  I went and had a CT scan done after they shot me in the buttocks with some pain reliever and had no relief.  The PA said that it should go away on its own, but to follow up with my PCP in a week to make sure things are getting better...  Thank you Selma for your follow ups and I happy that I finally found what this really is...
I am so happy for u....did they say y a sinus issue would cause an issue with straining while trying to move ur bowels?

Did they give u a nasal spray or something to help break up the mucus?

I pray u feel better : )

"selma"
They just gave me Motrin 800mg and Ultram 50mg for the pain...  He said it would go away on its own, but did not give me any thing like you asked about to break up the mucus...  I made an appointment to see my PCP next week if it still is bothering me by then, but if not, I won't go, because like I said before, I have no insurance, and rather not spend the money, especially since my PCP is not an ENT (ears, nose, and throat) specialist...  I already do feel better this morning, and I was able to sleep through the entire night last night, so I must be getting better, or the medications are just working, or both...  I should be all set though, and although I am afraid to have another BM, I will make sure I don't hold my breath in the process, and I will be taking the senokot as you mentioned to make it easier...

Thanks for your help Selma!  You made this experience much easier for me...
U r welcome : )

I pray u continue to get better : )

"selma"
I've had the exact same thing happen to me along with the pain behind my left eye and migraines. I've seen several doctors and none of them have helped my problem. I continue to get the headaches for almost 2 years now. I was wondering if you still have this problem and how you solved it.
Thanks!
The headache is called an exertion headache. Google it and you will find a lot of information.  I thought I was going to have a stroke. The pain is excruciating.   Aspirin helped me.