Migraines & Headaches Community
Severe daily headaches, congestion, neck & back pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

A month ago I began suffering with head congestion and mild headaches now and then which I had originally attributed to allergies. The symptoms did not respond to the allergy medication I began taking but I thought it would pass on its own. However, within the last two weeks I have begun to have several severe headaches a day accompanied by severe neck and shoulder pain. The headaches include pain and stiffness in my jaw, throbbing and pressure behind my eyes which makes visual focus difficult, pain at the base of my skull and at my temples, and aching everywhere else. I have also been having trouble falling asleep and every night I have strange, vivid dreams as if my REM cycle isn't kicking in properly. I've tried inhaling steam and started taking Pseudophed for congestion and for the first week prescription Ultram & the second week Motrin but the congestion has not been relieved thus far and my headaches and neck pain have slowly stopped responding at all to the pain relievers. I'm not convinced that the following is related, but today I also began experiencing waves of muscle aches and joint stiffness and burning sensations in my thighs, knees, and arms, though the waves only lasted a few minutes at a time and were completely gone within 45 minutes.
Over the last month I have NOT experienced sinus drainage or blockage of any kind, fever, chills, or sensitivity to light or noise. I've tried researching possible/likely causes but I'm just completely stumped right now!! Please help!!
I have the EXACT same symptoms...have seen every doctor on earth, had MRI's, CAT scans etc...
no help.  
I'm so glad I'm not the only one out there dealing with this!! For awhile I began to think it was just all in my head (no pun intended). I just hope that soon SOMEONE will figure out what exactly "it" is...For both our sakes.
I think it's our house, If feels like I'm being poisened.  These same symptoms came  6 months or so just after we moved into this house, fird for everything but what is causing it and now me. My Diet has a lot to do with it, but was not a factor before I moved hear, when I have a BM the headaches subside, maybe a colon cleanser is in order.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How old are you?

Has this happened before, do episodes like this recur every year?

Were there any associated nasal discharge, ear discharge, sore throat or fever prior to the onset of symptoms?

A cluster headache, tension related headaches and episodic migraines may be readily considered as differentials for your condition. Cluster headaches may involve the area surrounding the eyes, they may be severe and may occur in paroxysmal clusters for days to weeks. The common migraine usually affcets women and may be associated with one sided throbbing head pain with light and noise sensitivity.

A thorough neurologic examination by a neurologist may help. Scans are rarely helpful for migraines unless a neurologic focus is being considered. Other differentials to exclude are those which are infectious in origin.Neck stiffness , fever and vomiting may require further evaluation ( ie lumbar puncture).

Have a consultation with a neurologist and keep us posted regarding physician's advise.
Funny how Vanessa Lacuesta mentions everythin I am experiencing.  Chronic migraines, severe lower neck & shoulder pain to under the skull throbs and pulsates to the left side of my head.  Days before my menstrual cycle to a few days prior, my head above my ears feels as if it is swelling.  It swells to the point wearing glasses hurt and the swelling is not of hard substance.  Just 2 weeks ago, my headaches turn so severe that it feels as though I can open my skull from the center of my head.
Before the pain in my head gets really bad, I feel it starting in the neck just below the skull.  The pain last up to two to three days.  
Last Sunday I did not have a headache!  I cherish those days!
I will take Vanessa's advice and see a neurologist because I am not getting anywere with my GP.

Sincerely,
Avatar_dr_f_tn

What you have sounds like a migraine headache, a tension headache or a cluster headache.

Menstrual cycles may be associated with headaches as the hormones surge and fluctuate. Cervicogenic headaches are headaches referred to the back of the head and the face secondary to a cervical spine disorder. Your position when setaed and when lying down needs to be assessed. It is important to get the proper support for your head and neck.

A thorough neurologic examination may be necessary.This does not sound very urgent. However, the diagnosis of a migraine is usually given once other possible conditions that could have caused the symptoms have been ruled out.

Do keep us posted with your physician's advice.
This thread is a few years old but wondering if anyone has found relief.  I've had a lot of these symptoms for the past few months, never any of them prior to this time period.  A very tight, dull headache and the same tightness in my jawline, aching at the base of my skull and neck.  I've had CAT scans, MRI's, neck and chest x-rays, blood tests and nothing abnormal shows up.  My symptoms would usually not be there in the morning but would always get progressivly worse as the day went along.  About a month ago I was almost free of pain and then things changed with my job that brought on longer hours and more stress.  Now all of it is back and doesn't go away on the weekends when I'm not working.  I've seen my GP, ENT and neurologist and no one knows what to do.  I just want to be pain free.