Migraines & Headaches Community
Severe headache and hallucinations

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Severe headache and hallucinations

I started having auditory hallucinations and was having migraine like headaches 2 years ago. My doctor put me anti psychotics and the hallucinations stopped. My headache got worse as time went by. Now my headaches are so bad that i can't do anything most of the time. It is almost constant and the intensity of the pain varies. Often times i just have to lie down. In the beginning of my health problem even though i had hallucinations along with the headache i could still  go to work and function normally. Now my headaches are very bad, it gets to a point where i can't even talk or have normal control over my body. I am wondering if cramps/muscle contraction/muscle rigidity/spams can occur in the head and cause so much pain? I take Relpax which helps when i have the most severe headache but after a short while  my headache returns. I have pain that starts from the back of the head, it spreads to other areas often. Sometimes the pain starts in front of the head and in the middle or top of the head. The pain which starts from the back feels like wound and sometimes It feels like pressure, heartbeat, stabbing inside the head. MRI negative, EEG negative, Blood tests negative, psychiatrist says there is nothing he can do about it, neurologist says it must be tension headache, an other
doctor says it is whiplash because i have been in a car accident. My problem started before the car accident so unless the car accident made it worse it can't be whiplash i think. Lately i have got this symptom called visual snow. I went to eye doctor and he run his test and said everything looks normal.  

I take painkillers, i probably will be put on narcotic painkillers in the near future but that's not a good solution. I have tried many types of medication, nothing has helped so far.
When you say you have tried all sorts of meds, have you tried several kinds of a daily preventative medication?   If not, that needs to be your next step.  If you have taken them, then you should ask your doctor about nerve block, trigger point and Botox injections.  They all helped me tremendously when I only found one daily medication that helped me--herbal Petadolex.  And I think that you are aware that taking any pain relievers 3x a week or more causes rebound headaches.

If your doctor won't consider these options above, find another one that will.  You deserve to be much better.  Hang in there.
Thanks. Yes, I have tried about 4 kinds of preventative migraine medication.
Then be sure to press your doctor about any of the injections I mentioned above.  If the doctor won't consider them, find another neurologist.  Do you have any tightness in your neck or shoulder area?  Those people are especially helped by the injections.

Your insurance should cover the Botox ones because the FDA approved them for migraines in October 2010.  I had to fight my insurance company with the State insurance commission and won.  Also you can buy the Botox yourself at a pharmacy (with a prescription) to lessen the cost IF your insurance company won't cover it.  

But the nerve block and trigger point injections should be covered for sure.

Good luck.

Sara