Migraines & Headaches Community
Sex Headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Sex Headache

2 days ago my wife and I were having sex when all of the sudden I got a bad headache.
We stopped and the headache went away in about 10 min. We resumed and this time the headache
came back three times as bad and would not go away. I tried ice on the neck, and a hot relaxing shower, neither helped. We paged the doctor, they reccommened the emergency room in case of an anurism.  CAT scan was clear. Family doctor (seen today) said it wasn't anything to worry about as long as it went away. Tonight, sexual activity resulted in moderate haedache lasting for 10 min, with an acheing feeling lingering on after the headache tapered off. Is this what I have to look forward to after every orgasim?  
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I have some questions:

Was this the first time that something like this happened?

Do you have a history of the common migraine?

Was the headache associated with a certain sex position?

Does the headache occur only during orgasm?

Sex increases the heart rate, causes increase in blood pressure and may cause muscle spasms.Dilation of blood vessels due to the increased blood pressure in the brain during sex may lead to headaches.However, more serious underlying conditions like stroke and aneurysms need to be ruled out.Your CT Scan came out fine and there are no neuroloic symptoms like weakness, vomiting, slurring of speech or doubling of vision.

I suggest you discuss with your doctor prophylactic therapy similar to that they use in migraines. Taken  prior to sex may help prevent the headaches.Most of the time,sex headaches just disappear.If it continues to persist ,  I suggest you seek consult with your neurologist for a complete work up.

I hope this helps.

vanessa can u help me plz , i al suffering with this deseasse now for 20 years ... pls help me how to get rid of this headache after sex ....
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Exertion headaches may be experienced during or following physical exertion like running, jumping, or sexual intercourse. Majority are related to migraine or cluster headaches while around 10% can be due to organic diseases. This includes aneurysms, tumors, or blood vessel malformation. If it persists, you may need to have this checked by your doctor to determine the underlying cause. Your complete medical history and imaging modalities such as CT scan will help rule out organic conditions.  Take care and best regards.
even i suffer from this headache after sex. I found a quick fix solution...chanting or meditation. It does offer relief. But I feel that growing age does not allow us to have sex or climax as vigourously as we did it during our teenage. May be pressure on blood vessels during ejaculation can be one of the reason.