Migraines & Headaches Community
Sharp headache in one spot?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Sharp headache in one spot?

Since the 31st of last month, I have had a reoccuring very sharp pain in my head that doesn't seem to respond to pain killers. It is in the upper, right side of my head.
It usually does not occur until later in the day, and it's not a constant pain either. It comes and goes every few minutes. The pain ranges from fairly painful to extremely painful-- to the point I end up cringing.

I did not hit my head on anything that I know of, and it's sort of tender in a small area where the pain is. I have never experienced anything like this, and it's kind of scary how painful it can become.
Additional information: The pain as sharp as it is-- only lasts a second or two and then leaves for several minutes.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? The International Headache Society classifies these headaches as "primary stabbing headaches"of headache presents with  pain confined to the head, the pain is stabbing or jarring and the headaches recur erratically several times a day. If this persists, have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. This can be managed with prescription medications and relaxation. Take care and do keep us posted.
I'm doing a little better, thanks. Though it is being persistent.

I noticed that in the area of the pain, I seem to have a bump on the outside where it is tender... it's not entirely circular either. When it "throbs" it sends a wave of pain through the whole area around the bump.

Thanks for the reply-- I really appreciate it.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thank you for your update. If there was no previous history of trauma, the bump should be checked further to determine the possible underlying cause. Cold packs may help with the pain and swelling, Imaging studies such as CT scan may be indicated depending on the physical and examination by your attending physician. Take care always.