Migraines & Headaches Community
Shooting pain up the neck and back of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Hi, so I am an athlete and I came home from a game.  I was taking off my jersey and trying to get my right arm through the arm hole in my jersey when all of a sudden i felt a shooting pain up my neck and up my head maybe 4 inches.  The pain dulled slowly in the next minute or so, but left a strong headache and a slight pain in the area the origin pain occured for around 10 or 15 minutes.  This might have happened one or two times before, but the pain was so severe this time that it felt as if I was going to collapse or pass out.  I have no idea to what even look up for this pain and everything I have tried doesnt seem right.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, so any ideas of what this pain could be?

Sharp shooting pain in the head and neck raises the suspicion of neuralgia. Neuralgias occur due to nerve irritation and are sharp and shooting pains.
The other possibility is cervical spondylosis and disc herniation in the neck region. Cervical spondylosis can cause sharp pains in the head and neck region.
I would suggest you to consult a physician about it. In the meantime please take OTC pain killers and apply cold compresses to the affected part.
Take care!