Migraines & Headaches Community
Should I Get A Second Opinion

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Should I Get A Second Opinion

Hi all,

I am an 18 year old female (155lbs, 5'8"). I am currently embarking on my journey through my first year of college. Three weeks ago I had a migraine headache that woke me up in the middle of the night. It felt like someone was stabbing me in the right eye with an ice pick. The migraine was located on the right side of my head and remained unilateral (in terms of pain). This lasted for 3-4 hours. I took Excedrin Migraine (which usually helps) but it didn't put a dent in this. The rest of the day I had random sharp stabbing pains throughout my body, muscle pain/twitches/cramps, joint pain, tingling, slight numbness, and weakness apparent in my hands (all of this is mostly, but not exclusively, on the right side of my body). My right eye also hurt like no other and I was extremely exhausted.

The following Tuesday after this, I went to the doctor (because the Student Care Center here isn't open on the weekends). They did some blood work. It came back clean. They then sent me to an opthamologist and they said that my right eye was fine. They then sent me to get an MRI which came back negative (they said that I have a cyst on my pineal gland, but that I've probably had it since birth and that it shouldn't be causing any of my symptoms). They said that everything that I'm experiencing is a classic migraine.

I am the last person to say that the doctor is wrong, but I've been having awful headaches, nausea, the same tingling, muscle pains/cramps/twitches, sharp shooting pains, joint pains, and weakness for 3, going on 4, weeks now. The pain is all over my body and my usual Excedrin Migraine meds aren't working. The doctor also gave me Hydrocodone for the pain, but that's not helping either. I am also extremely exhausted and have been having a hard time concentrating on anything (which is odd because I'm one of those highly self-motivated sort of people).

The worst part is that, even when I don't really have much of a headache, I get nauseous when reading. I have a lot of reading to do for my classes and because of this I spend 3-5 times more time on reading for classes because I have to take breaks every so often because I feel like I'm going to throw up. Or sometimes the pain is so severe that I just can't seem to focus on my studies. School is very important to me so I would love to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible.

I don't know what to do, but this *****. So if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for listening.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? It is good that you were able to have your eyes checked by an ophthalmologist and diagnostic tests ( including MRI) showed normal results. If this is the case, primary headaches such as migraine and cluster headaches may be responsible. These can be managed with prescription medications and avoidance of triggers. A headache journal may also help identify the triggers that you should avoid. It is best that you discuss the management plan with your doctor and if the present medications are not helping, stronger prescription medications may be indicated. Take care and do keep us posted.