Should I get an MRI/CT scan?
Hello-

I'm a 25 year old male, very athletic and strong, with no history of neurological problems. Throughout my life, I have always engaged in strenuous physical activity with no real issues aside from causal injuries in sports, work, etc. A couple months ago, I was boxing and took a couple of illegal hits to the back of the head. The punches made me extremely dizzy, and I was soon knocked down by a punch that landed somewhere on the side of my head. I wasn't knocked unconscious; I got right back up again and had little trouble standing. I even continued to box another couple of rounds with no problems. However, I was fairly certain I had sustained a concussion: I had a very fuzzy feeling in the brain, with lights in my peripheral vision. The lights passed, and the headaches went away after a couple days, but every since the incident, I just haven't felt the same. I waited two months before getting back in the ring, and I took a single, fairly innocuous punch from a lesser opponent that shouldn't have had any impact at all, or at least it wouldn't have before my concussion, but this time, that one mediocre punch brought back a lot of the residuals I felt from the concussion. To this day, I still often feel the fuzzy feeling, like someone has thrown a blanket over my brain. I seem to stare into the distance a lot, especially when driving, and have to frequently force myself to focus. Also, when it's dark out, or I dim the lights in my room, I perceive a dark spot in the upper reach of my left eye vision, as if there's some lint on my eyebrow, though of course, there isn't. I only see this spot sometimes, and only when it's dark. There is also a region in the rear, top-right part of my head that sometimes aches when I turn my head quickly, or look down quickly, or nod or shake my head. Reading is sometimes difficult, at least more difficult than it used to be for a voracious reader like myself. My balance and coordination are sometimes a little off, though no one seems to notice any of the above symptoms but me. That is to say, no one has commented that I seem slow or punchy. Needless to say, I am very concerned about all this, and just wanted to reach out and see if anyone recognized any of my symptoms, and maybe knew what they were. I want to get an MRI/CT scan to be sure, but I know they are expensive, and I'm not sure if my insurance will cover the exam. Any thoughts?
It does sound like a concussion and sometimes it takes a few years for your brain to totally recover from it. I would definately make an appt with at least your primary doctor for an exam and a CT or MRI. He or she might also want you to see a neurologist.