Migraines & Headaches Community
Sinus Surgery Needed???

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Sinus Surgery Needed???

3621544?1225934265
I have a few questions about a ct scan i had a few days ago....here is a brief history.  I started to have neck pain about 4 months ago and severe headaches around the bottom of my scalp and around my eyes and sinuses...low grade fever and just feeling right down yuky!!  I have always had a problem with snoring, trouble sleeping, tons of nasal drip..clearing throat, sore throat and sorry this is gross, but "spitting"phlegm.. about 3 weeks ago i went to a clinic and was put on doxy and pred...did not get better.  Went to an ENT and had a Ct Scan done.  Here What was found.....Large retention cyst right sphenoid sinus, small retention cyst in inferior left maxillary antrum. moderate lateral deviation of nasal septum, rightward directed osteophyte and small concha bullosa in middle turbinates bilaterally.  Is any of that to worry about??  And the the doctor did a C&S and I have no results of that yet.  I gave been worried sick and do not have my appt until next week to go over results of the ct scan.  If anyone has any imput that would be great!  Unsure if i have to have surgery and if so the recovery time.  

thank you
Jody

Thanks for writing in.
Retention cysts usually occur in the maxillary sinus, they are rare in the sphenoid sinus. If the cysts are asymptomatic no surgery is advised. However in your case surgery should be considered since you are suffering from severe headaches.
Endoscopic sinus surgery is usually done by opening the sphenoid sinus and aspirating the cyst with a microdebrider. The recovery rates are very good and recurrence is reported in very few cases. The doctor may want to treat the sinus infection first by a course of antibiotics based on the results of your C&S report.
Hope this helps!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOU INFO!!!  That makes me feel so much better!!
Thank you!  I also had a CT scan because of migraines and sinus headaches and they found a small cyst in my right sphenoid sinus as well.  This comment was very helpful.  I have to wait a month for my ENT appointment!  Arg!  =)  Thanks!