Migraines & Headaches Community
Sinus headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Sinus headaches

I keep getting sinus headaches over and over. It's so draining.  I've gone to the doctor 2 times over the last couple of months only after it got really bad and got some antibiotics. The last time they did do an MRI and said I had some fluid in one of my sinus's so they assumed that was what's going on is a sinus headache but I keep getting them and I can't function very well during when I get these. My eyes hurt, head hurts and I feel like I can't think straight. Sometimes I feel sick to my stomach my head and eyes hurt so bad. It does seem to get worse as the day goes on. I've used antibiotics the last couple of months, sinus pain medication, allergy medicine, Motrin. I don't know what else to try or do. I don't know why I keep getting these, either, or how I can avoid these. It's really affecting me. I'm thinking I may have to go back to the doctor but I was just there 2 weeks ago. I hate to keep going back but I'm popping  Motrin and I don't know what else to do or try. Any suggestions?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Sinus headaches usually present with gnawing pain over nasal area, often increasing in severity throughout day. This can be due to an acute infection, usually with fever, producing blockage of sinus ducts and preventing normal drainage. This is usually treated with antibiotics, decongestants, surgical drainage if necessary. If it persists, or your medications do not work, you may need to have this evaluated further by your doctor for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.

Hi there,
Sounds like you have used quite a bit of Antibiotics in the last couple months w/ no relief. Let me ask you...When you bend you head foreward (bending over) do you get pressure in your sinus cavities?

Perhaps this could have started out as a Sinus Infection (headache) but not quite sure after all the Antibiotics you have been taking has not helped. Are you seeing an actual ENT or just a GP doc?  

There are a couple different types of headaches and things that could be going on.
you should not have to suffer everyday like this and now it is time for you to "Demand" some answers!
i'll look back at this post after you answer those couple questions and give you my thoughts / advice.
Until then,
~Tonya
I agree with Tonya in that going to see and ENT would be smart. I had a sinus infection that lasted 6 months, with terrible sinus headaches, that ended up w/ me having surgery to remove my adenoids (adenoids) so that the mucus could drain. That's rather extreme, but an ENT would know if steroids, anti-inflammatories, etc. would be useful in this case.

Good luck and keep us posted!

~Dame
I haven't seen an ENT doctor for this but I did see one awhile back because I  was getting hoarse and didn't understand why. He looked in my throat, voice box, vocal cords and tonsils and said everything appeared normal there (still not sure what's going on with my voice)
. I'll have to see if I can get another referral for this. I didn't think of seeing an ENT for headaches.  So far I've just gone to my pcp for the headaches. The last time I went they did an MRI to see if there was anything else going on. They said they did see some fluid in one of my sinuses so that's why we're pretty sure it's sinus headaches and/or infections.
I mostly feel it in my eyes. My eyes really hurt and feel heavy like I have weights on them. I also feel it alongside my nose, cheek bones, jaw, forehead and back of my head. I haven't noticed it get worse when I bend over but I have noticed it does seem to gradually get worse throughout the day. I don't have a stuffy nose or anything or a fever, just this pain in my head and eyes mainly.
I have tried the steroid pills twice. The  first time seemed to work but not the second time, not sure why that is. I've also gone through two rounds of  antibiotics in the last few months. Otherwise I've been taking Motrin, Advil or sinus pain medication when needed. I've tried natural remedies like herbal tea and extra vitamin C and just going to bed.
I guess this must be a bad season or something. We have had a lot of wind which I've heard can aggravate the sinuses.
I'm not sure what else I can do except take something and ride it out.

Hello, Hope you had a nice weekend,
Taking all the antibiotics and medications that you have been taking is not good for you.
* Motrin (Ibuprophen) directly has an affect on th kidney's.....Not good.
* Antiobiotics, All those antibiotics (which by the way are apparently not helping) is having a direct affect on your entire body...knocking out the "GOOD BACTERIA" which is vital in having a healthy functioning body.
* Sinus Pain Meds, Depending which one....can also have a direct affect on either your kidney's or Liver!

In other words, you need to find / demand some answers as to what is going on.
Have you been to an Opthamologists? you could also have some inflamation (inflammation) in your eyes...Iritis, Uveitis, Optic Neuritis........?

Keep us up on how you are doing and I hope that you can get some relief soon.
Take Care,
~Tonya
I had an eye exam last Summer. I'm only allowed one once a year with my insurance. Not sure if they'd approve for me to see an opthamologist or not but my regular eye exam looked fine. I do tend to get dry eyes so they gave me those natural tears drops to use.

Could all of this just be related to allergies?
Well, here's the latest. I saw a different doctor today and he thinks these are TENSION headaches not SINUS headaches! All this time they said it was SINUS headaches. So...he wants me to get an MRI to look at the soft tissues, etc. He does want to rule out that it's not sinus but tension headahces. I guess what I had last time was a CT scan,  not an MRI, got that mixed up. A CT scan doesn't show the soft tissues, ect. He also gave me a muscle relaxant and wants me to go to physcial therapy so they can work on my neck. When he manipulated it in the office he said I was real tight.
I do feel a lot of pressure in my face, eyes and back of my head, though no runny nose or fever. So does this sound like a tension headache then rather than sinus? So what would cause the tension headaches and why does it seem like it's in my sinuses? I don't know what to think anymore!
At least this doctor decided to look into this more than the last one. I guess I'll find out, I hope!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thank you for the update. Tension-type headaches are dull, non-throbbing pain associated with tightness of scalp or neck. The degree of severity remains constant. Stress and sometimes depression are possible causes. Let us wait for the MRI result to know the status of your soft tissues. Continue your muscle relaxants and physical therapy. Hang on and hope to hear from you soon.
Well, I know I'm not depressed. Stress, maybe, but not depressed. Yes, it will be interesting to see what the MRI says. I just want some answers so I can feel better. These headaches wipe me out. They haven't scheduled me yet for the MRI, they're supposed to call me but hopefully it will be soon. I'll let you know. Thanks so much!
Just scheduled the MRI. They can't get me in for 3 weeks. We shall see what that shows. In the meantime, I guess I'll just keep taking the Motrin and muscle relaxants as needed!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I know three weeks is quite a long way out, but it will definitely gives us some answers. I agree with your continuing your medications and start your stress management/plan. There are plenty of relaxation techniques available including meditation and biofeedback. Take care always!
MRI didn't show anything significant. They still think these are tension headaches. They did go away for a little while but are back now. The strange things is I had a massage and she had pressed really hard on the back of my head and it hurt. My head started hurting more and more as the day went on and it's been constant since then and it's been a week. Before that I hadn't had the headaches for awhile. Now they're back.

Nothing seems to do very much. They just stay constantly there. I take Motrin and a muscle relaxant at night but nothing makes them totally go away, except maybe time. So there's nothing that can be done, then? I just have to wait it out?
I've tried natural remedies, like peppermint tea and putting wet peppermint tea bags on my eye lids and forehead. Nothing really seems to ever make them go away. It's so draining!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Thank you for your update. I'm sorry to hear that the headache recurred. Aside from tension headache, which occurs with stressful events, another differential is cluster headache, which is also a primary headache. Attacks occur regularly and may be separated by long pain-free periods. If your muscle relaxant and Motrin do not help, check with your doctor for stronger prescription medication. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.
I was checking to see if your headaches have gone away? I too have been suffering a constant headache since the first weekend in September. I have tried antibitics, blood pressure meds, prescription migraine meds - but to no avail. At that time, they also diagnosed me with Stage I hypertension (however, I find i odd that the BP hasnt gone down yet and I still have the headaches) which makes me think that the BP is directly related to the constant pain. The headache is right-sided and ALWAYS present. It feels like a lot of pressure behind my eyes and below my eye and facial tenderness in teh sinus area. It is mostltly present in the temporal area with constant tightness in the neck and shoulder. I have an MRI scheduled for next week (CT came back negative). Ido have a lot of pressure on me in general: mom of two, unemployed, financially strained, first year of nursing school. Could this 3 month headache possible be tension related? I have no history of headaches. (I am 32 years old). It makes me so irritable and I feel badly for everyone I snap at!
I also wanted to know what happened. I seem to be suffering from the same - Painful headaches that seem to last days at a time. I am not sure what makes them go away unless it is connected with atmospheric pressure in my area ( Gulf of Mexico). I notice strong winds causes it and hot baths ( I've stopped taking my hot baths and pretty much just take showers)
I've had head ache for 4 years daily, all started with a sinus infection , Had mri ct scans been to ent rheumatologist ,neurologist ,allergist, D0 for maluations acupuncture . The head ache is mostly on to with pressure on forehead and ear ache sometime , Now have a appointment to a pain clinic , any advise out there?