Migraines & Headaches Community
Smell of cigarettes

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Smell of cigarettes

Hi! For the past 3 days I have smelled nothing but cigarettes. No migraine pain, Just the smell that I cannot escape. This has NEVER happened to me before. I have washed everything in this house, (and Myself also), opened windows, changed the filter to my AC. still will not go away. It is driving me nuts.
Hi, I hear you! I smell exhaust fumes. I smell them everywhere! At my desk at work all day, at home, the mall. My neuro said it is epilepsy-related (meaning seizure), but my EEG came out normal. Believe it or not, I just read stuff on the liver and I think it could be that the liver is "full" and needs detox... look up ****.com.
Please let me know if you hear anything! I am going nuts too!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I suggest that you have a complete neurological consult with a neurologist.

Do you have any headaches?

There are some forms of auras that may present as olfactory auras or auras that affect the sense of smell.In some ways ,this has been associated with some forms of seizure disorders.They ar not common but when present may need further evaluation.The temporal lobe is usually affected .This is the lobe of the brain responsible for processing memory.And in most cases,olfactory hallucinations have also involved the amygdala.

Was  this present for some time already?

A baseline cranial CT Scan and EEG may help. Your physician may manage you from there.

Do keep us posted with regards to your physician’s advice.

Thank you for your comment. I did have a migraine Friday night, I was hoping when I woke up from the Tramadol induced sleep, that the smell will be gone.When I got up at 11 pm my first breath was full of smoke. I went to the ER 30 mins later, think I must be having some type of seizure. The triage  nurse was offended b/c when I came in she was eating and was smoking outside. She asked me could I smell her smoke also or if it was all the same? I told her I could smell her smoke, and the smell the tuna that was just eating,along with the smoke smell I had been smelling all along. The ER doctor came in, he was someone who I had seen many times before, So he pulled up a CT Scan that he had done about 3 months ago. Then he did did an basic Nero exam. He said I was sound, But he did tell me to see a neurologist as soon as possible. I just called my doctor, She did not want to say either way till she saw me, (tuesday) and she will take it from there. I just called the Nero doc he cannot see me till JUNE. Even after I told them this has been going on for 7 days. and for the past 2 days it is smoke mixed with a sweet smell.

I want to add this, I have bipolar disorder, so I am getting the feeling that they are dismissing this as some type of break down or something.
But that is my update. I will keep you all posted.