Migraines & Headaches Community
Status Migraine

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Status Migraine

I feel like I'm about to go crazy! I've been getting migraines for the past 10 years after a whiplash injury to my neck.  Usually I get 1-2 per week, but for the past month have had one long migraine that will not respond to treatment.  I have of course tried my normal Naproxen, Maxalt, and Phenergan combination which usually works as my first line cocktail, and I was admitted to the hospital a month ago for DHE 45 infusions (that didn't really do much).  For the most part, I am stuck with this daily migraine that is starting to respond less and less to treatment.  I had a spinal tap last week that came back normal, and have had a head CT which was normal as well.  I have been to my Dr or the ER at least twice per week for the past two months due to this migraine and nobody can seem to get it under control!  Today I went in and since I have been given Toradol many times in the past two weeks, she decided to give me a shot of Dilaudid, and this actually worked!  I've had Dilaudid in the ER by IV but it did nothing....I am a registered nurse myself, and I am aware that using narcotics to treat acute migraine attacks can result in rebound headaches but that shot of dilaudid I got today worked amazingly well! And I still have no headache!  Does anybody have any suggestions or can you tell me what works for you when the usual treatment is not working? I have also got a prescription for Thorazine which I use as an abortive as well.  I do not have insurance right now but my doc is trying to get me some Topamax and help me fill my Maxalt. (Both are around $300 each).   In the ER they have given me Compazine/Benadryl/Toradol as well but this does not work for me.  Neither does Phenergan/Toradol combination. This is affecting my life so much right now that it is getting hard to cope.  I feel embarrassed every time I have to go to the ER or go to my Dr. because it is becoming so frequent! I'm a single mom of an 8yr old, and because of this migraine I cannot spend as much time with her and it's killing me.  Any suggestions??  

Thanks!
I suffer from long-term migraines, too. I tried a whole line of abortives and preventatives, including Topamax, gabapentin, prednisone, Depakote, and Compazine/DHE. The second time I tried DHE worked better than the first - they kept me in the hospital for five days instead of three.

Have you consulted any of the large headache centers?"