Migraines & Headaches Community
Stress headache or something more?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Stress headache or something more?

For about a two weeks I had a really painful headache that moved around the back of my head, some times it was tingling sometimes it was a dull throb. it was acccompanied with a lot of shoulder and neck muscle tension and occassionally anxiety.

To give some background, I am a computer professional that spends 8 to 11 hours a day in front of a computer in some way and I have just started adding weights and pilates to my normal exercise routine. I am also trying to choose between two jobs. So needless to say, I am under a lot of stress right now.

I spent a weekend trying to calm down and it did go away. Then out of nowhere while working I had another sharp pain in the back of my head.  It's gone now, but I'm freaking out again.

Is this something I should go to the doctor for or am I just a nervous wreck?
Whenever you are in front of the computer take a break every one hour or so for a few minutes and close youe eyes and do some neck strtch exercises. Get your eyesight checked for any visual abnormality due to the long hours in front of the computer which would aggravate the headaches. Also do the workouts under supervision only and after consultation with your physician. Try some OTC painkillers at the time of the headaches and also some antianxiety medication like alprazolam would help. Maintain adequate hyrdation and sleep for atleast 6-7 hours daily. Avoid alcohol and smoking. Try some breathing exercises and yoga. Also get your bloodpressure checked to see if it is in the normal range. Try to listen to some soothing music or read a book before you sleep. The above measures should help in relieving the symptoms but if the symptoms still persist then take a neurologist opinion. Goodluck.
I think you are suffering from tension headache coupled with eye strain. I suggest you get a vision examination done as you may need corrective glasses.If possible cut down your computer time, and spend more time outdoors. You can also try massage therapy it will soothe you. Make sure you sleep at your regular bedtime so that you are not sleep deprived.Meanwhile you can take OTC painkillers for headache.