Migraines & Headaches Community
Sudden Severe Pain in Top Left Head

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Sudden Severe Pain in Top Left Head

I have really sudden severe deep crushing pain on the top left side of my head. Lasts 2-5 seconds. Happens about once or twice a day. It has gotten more frequent. It's paralyzing. I immediately hold my head and can't talk because the pain is so intense. WHAT IS THIS?!! A tumor? Aneurysm? Any suggestions are appreciated!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Sudden shooting pain on the head may be caused by Ice Pick Headache. This may present as sharp jabbing sensation, often around their eye or in the temple area. Intensity varies may  last 10 seconds or less. This usually occurs in migraine sufferers as well. But the cause is unknown. Medication and identifying the possible triggers may help. However, it is best that you have this evaluated further to rule out secondary causes. Take care and do keep us posted.

Hi Dr. Santos,
Thank you very much for your input. I haven't had more than a couple migraines in my entire life, now 29. And the pain is about 3 inches above my left ear, on the top left part of my head. You still suggest having this evaluated further?
Thank you,
Healy
I've had similar head pain, mine started January 19th, first localized in the mastoid region and moved around the left area and now having headaches in the same spot as you are on left side. But I am having a whole host of symptoms all on the left side of my body from head to toe. I went to ENT, he scheduled CTScan and Audials (for my ear - I had partial hearing loss in left ear) and will find out what is causing all my headaches, nerve pain, ear aches, ringing and hearing loss. As well as neck pain, shoulder pain, elbow and carpel tunnel is worse than ever. As well as lots of left knee pain and tingling sensations in my feet. Again all on left side of body.

You might do well seeing an ENT if your symptoms progress...they could be migraine, cluster headaches or tension headaches. Sinus pressure can also cause that type of headache. Good luck.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
If your headaches do not respond well to medications or if they persist, I recommend that you have this evaluated further by your doctor. Further tests may need to be done to determine the underlying cause. Take care and do kee psu posted.
Hi Dr. Santos, i ma experiencing the same pain but at the top most of my head, felt like my skull is breaking, i have experienced this since i have my dental braces on. Could the dental braces cause this? Thanks
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? The headache may indeed be due to referred pain from your braces. This usually resolves after you have adjusted to the dental procedure. Other differentials include primary headaches such as migraine or tension headache. If over-the-counter pain medications do not help, you may benefit from further evaluation and prescription medication from your attending physician. Take care and do keep us posted.
Hi! Thanks for the reply. As for now i don't feel the pain anymore. thank you so much for the information. :) God Bless!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thank you for your update. It is good to hear that you are not experiencing the pain anymore. Regular consult with your dentist/orthodontist is highly recommended. You can also ask for the wax to protect your inner cheek from the brackets. Take care always.